Malawi Cichlids and Gasping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alicook

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My Malawi Cichlids appear to be gasping for air and have rapid gill movement. I have checked the Ammonia and Nitrate levels and they are ok, and the fish are swimming around and feeding ok. They're not near the top of the tank, and apart from what's described above appear perfectly healthy. I have a 240l tank and do regular water changes. The tank has been going about 8 weeks. Any advice?

Welcome to AA :) When you say the ammonia and nitrate levels are ok, what reading are you getting? also what is your nitrite reading and your temp? What kind of filter are you using? Do you have alot of surface agitation at the top of the water? Do you notice any white spots on the fish or torn fins? How many fish do you have in the tank? How long have you had the fish?

I am using the levels as shown on the test kit I have. Both levels are low (although there is some reading of ammonia and nitrates, the test kit assures it is a "safe" level). There are no white spots on the fish or torn fins. I have a fluval 350l external filter, no surface agitation and the temp is 26 deg c (77f). I haven't checked the nitrite levels. I have 9 chichlids in the tank, recently added 3.

Well, if you have ammonia and nitrite, you need to do partial water changes to get rid of it. Sounds like your tank is going thru a cycle. Ammonia and nitrite will kill your fish.
They might be gasping because you have no surface agitation. Agitation puts oxygen in the water, so your fish could be suffocating. Can you lower the water level so you do have agitation?

Tanks been running about 8 weeks with regular Nutrafin Cycle and aquaplus maintenance. Fish seemed fine until new ones were added. What the best thing for Ammonia, I've read contradicting info? My tank is approx 52 gallons.

I will do another water change tonight and get an airstone. See how that helps them.

12 chiclids in a tank that may not have been cycled in the first place...

keep doing water changes. daily

Water change tonight and airstones in seems to have calmed them down. I guess all the Nutrafin promises of short cycle rates etc aren't entirely true then? And aquarium shops can't be trusted (I asked advice before I did anything!!)

I will keep testing ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Hopefully all ma wee fish will survive.

true ammiona or seeding material such as sponges, and subsrate are the best and fastest why to cycle a tank. IMO. and yes its hard to trust advice from pet shops

i think airstone would help. move your inlet from ur filter above the water so it splashes into the tank creating air bubbles into the tank. how do u do ur water changes? buckets, hoses from taps?

i did a waterchange in a tank with 2 I.D. sharks. they were gasping afterwards. i didnt realize it but my mom used the bucket to wash her car with soap. if ur using a bucket, use it ONLY for ur fishtanks.

+1 for Jimmy. No dirty buckets.
Most of those cycle starters don't work, but I have had luck with Bio-Zyme.
You will need to do 20-50% water change every day to keep the fish alive and the ammonia and nitrite levels down. I started in the same place as you, and I did 50-70% pwc's every day for 4 weeks, sometimes twice a day. :( Not fun, but you will get used to it, and it WILL get easier and more fun! After your tank is cycled, you will wonder what to do with all your spare time :D.

Back
Top Bottom