Malawi fry tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Viperchaos

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've got a good sized 30L that I'm turning into a Malawi cichlid fry holding tank, its external canister filtered,
I've got at least 200 LPH turnout so that 6x filtration,
I'm thinking about making a fixed rock collection for the smaller less developed fry to hide,
The fry that I'm mixing are,
SP44 thickskin
Jallo Reef afro
Red fin zebra
Firefish.
Super D10

I'm really looking to ensure the fact that my SP44 survive because there an incredible animal. . Any tips on how to arrange these rocks??

30 liters is way way to small for that many malawi fry. on average a malawi cichlid brood is between 15-25 fry or so. If you are going to raise these fish before you sell them or trade them (which takes on average 4 months to be 1 1/2 inches after hatching). I would get one big tank like the shops do if you are going to mix them. even if you are spawning only 5 types(your list) thats still the possiblity of 75-125 fry at one time. Id get a 90 gallon to raise that many and put one big pile of rocks in the middle of a square 90 gallon tank. I would leave most of the tank open except for this pile. take a cheap t-8 low light fixture and mount it on this tank. thats a better plan bro. the tanks size is what developes them the larger the tank the better they develope and faster.

Back
Top Bottom