Malawi / Mbuna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mumba's +
shelldwellers (shelldwellers will likely be killed by the mumbas by the way)

ps lanisticola is actually a mbuna, it just loves its shells. it is also one of the most peaceful mbunas.

i totally agree with greenmagi that a single species will work in the tank, but its just a waste of space in a 36*18 tank.

Thanx for all the information. I just recieved a 495 page book on malawi's so I am doing my research. I have begun to put rocks in the tank also; making sure that there are many holes/caves. I would like to ask if any one knew of any good webistes where I can purchase stuff such as tuffa rock or rocks that have holes in them so they look like marine.

My idea at the moment is to have about 6 juvenile yellow labs (2 males and 4 females) and then maybe some other fish such as some blue ones. lol .... I aint looked at names yet :oops: . What would use suggest to put with the yellow labs bearing in mind I want to breed the yellow labs ?

Thank you for your time and effort

S.Askham

As Ive said before..only one type of fish should be kept in that tank and only one male..
so If you want yellow labs. only keep yellow labs. 1 male and 4-5 females only.. 5-6
total fish.. you only have a 4.5 square feet to work with in that tank.. more then one
type of fish is going to doom you to fail.. JMHO..
As for rocks check out this site!!
http://www.texasholeyrocks.com/

lol .... you know any links for tuffa rock because Iam aware I need to get my P.H up to 8.

yea, I noticed you were in the UK earlier.. do you guys have limestone over there? The holey rock looks like exposed cave material to me.. and it is limestone.. I would look for plain old limestone.. but thats just me.. :mrgreen:

Its ok guys I just bought some tufa rock and a bit of ocianic to try. It looks good and I also ordered 6 yellow labs (small) and I am going to try these 4 other little black ones that are not very agressive. I get them next week so it give sme time to do the tank. It is coming along great 8)

Remember pictures will help me do my tank lol 8)

I want it to look great :)

too many fish, and you need to be able to sex them.. juvenals cant be sexed ... get just one kind of fish.. In other words if your trying those 4 little black ones you need another tank for them.. put just yellow labs. in the tank if you want yellow labs.. 1 male and 4-5 females.. (do you not have access to a LFS that would have medium sized fish to pick from?)

reef base rock, the stuff they culture into liverock, is a good choice.. If you have a LFS that sells base rock..

Africans will breed with other africans, they are not picky on who they will mate with. That's why there are so many "asst. Africans". If you are wanting to breed true Yellow Labs, I'd only have yellow labs in the tank. Plus, yellow labs are harder to sex when they are juvi's. It would be best to have a single specie only tank. That way you don't chance having mixed fry. True yellow labs are profitable where as the mixed ones are not.

Back
Top Bottom