Malawi mix in my 120.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peterp

Aquarium Advice Freak
Here is what I ended up with in my 120 gal, the OB Peacocks were used to cycle the tank, don't plan on them staying in this tank long.
Not sure I am happy with the Maylandia lombardoi the LFS sold me, but they are a 2 hour drive so they will stay for a while.

2 Cyrtocara moorii (blue dolphin, 4 inch)
3 Cynotilapia axelrodi (gold ps. kingseizi, 2.5 inch)
1 Protomelas taeniolatus (Red Empress, 2 inch)
3 Maylandia lombardoi (psudo kenyi, 1 inch)
3 Labidochromis caeruleus (yellow lab, 2.5 inch)
3 Sciaenochromis fryeri (electric blue hap ahli, 2.5 inch)
3 Aulonocara hybrid (ob.peacock, 1.5 inch)
1 Synodontis eupterus (upside down catfish 1.5 inch)

Got to get some more rocks the 60pounds of slate and granite slabs seem to disappear in the tank.

Peterp,

That is a nice selection of fish for your tank, don't you find it annoying the way they keep changing there names all the time. i was a bit unsure what the Protomelas taeniolatus was until i looked it up and found it used to be called Haplochromis taeniolata or Spindle hap. same as maylandia lombardoi, what 's happened to it's Pseudotropheus name.
I have also noticed that you have got a lot of trio's, what ratio to male and female do you have.
Sorry about the questions, i just love African Malawi's.

I was trying to get a ratio 1m/2f where possible, but these are all young fish so it is hard to tell in most cases.

Yes, it took me forever to figure out what the red empress was currently called.
The cichlid site I hang about helped a lot cichlid-forum Their fish mugshot pages(gallery) with a lot of profiles for the fish helped a lot.

The reason for the trio's is BigAl's where I got them, sells a lot of fish discounted if you buy 3.
So fish like the Cynotilapia axelrodi were 7$ each or 3 for 15$,
The Labidochromis caeruleus were 9$ each or 3 for 24$, etc.

peterp,

It is really good that you are going for the trio's, so many people make the mistake of buying Malawi's one at a time and then wonder why they are getting problems.

Enjoy your African tank and keep us posted.

Terry

Thanks!

I've been trying to get some pics but the fish won't hold still long enough, I have a lot of shots of empty water and tails. :lol:

With my gouramis they just about pose for you, these guys don't seem to have a low gear 8O , I may have to resort to a film camera and scan the images.

Back
Top Bottom