Malawi mountain!! Diy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joecoones

Aquarium Advice Activist
Not generating much talk in diy... None at all actually lol. I am making this for my Malawi tank! The stuff is called magic sculpt, I've discovered it is incredible for aquatic decorations/backgrounds. I wasn't gonna show this until I was done but I ran out of magic sculpt so waiting on amazon now. What do ha all think so far??ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424199296.747836.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424199308.797939.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424199322.016611.jpg

How on earth do you plan to get that to sink with all that foam?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Exactly the conclusion I came to when thinking about trying this. So I didn't. If there is an easy solution is love to hear it.

I love my fish!!!

If you just cover the bottom part amd cover it with the substrate it shouldn't be to bad

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

As is it weighs about 12 lbs.. Evidently you've never seen magic sculpt. It's a very heavy 2 part epoxy clay that is non toxic (fish tank kings uses this as well as atm) dries as hard as concrete, sandable, paintable

Wouldn't it have to be thick to sink that much foam?

I love my fish!!!

It's 1/8-1/2 inch thick in areas. The clay is very heavy. I'm wrong on the weight I said earlier, when I'm done it will be 12lbs right now it's about 6lbs. I still have an entire chunk to put on the bottom. I ran out of magic sculpt last night... Hurry up ups

I've made DIY backgrounds with heavy coating like that and it took allot of silicone to stay put.

I'll be interested to see if it sinks, what did you paint it with?

i think I want you to make me some lol...looks great. Spray paint is safe inside a fish tank?

Anything I have ever read has said that "Krylon Fusion" is the type to use in tanks. I was very hesitant about it so I called a few places that do custom tank stuff and that is what they recommended as well.

It is a very nice looking project but I was also curious about the paint as well.

Once it forms and hardens all the way. You could from the bottom remove most of the foam using acid. Supposevly it evaporates and shouldn't pose a threat. I haven't tried it although I had it in the works to do just never got around to it.

Sent from my VS950 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Once it forms and hardens all the way. You could from the bottom remove most of the foam using acid. Supposevly it evaporates and shouldn't pose a threat. I haven't tried it although I had it in the works to do just never got around to it.

I was wondering if something like this was possible, do you know what kind of solvent/acid to use and where I might find such a substance? Thanks!

Acetone is normally the recommended method.

Back
Top Bottom