Malawi tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mattefect

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys I'm thinking of starting a Malawi tank and wanted to know some specs. I'm was thinking of getting yellow lab and blue mbuna together is that possible? Also about to together. Plz tell me tank size and that stuff. I was also thinking of building a tank that looks awesome for me, it's got clay pots in it. Thanks

generally I've found theL. fuelleborni tobe pretty easy to keep with others(at least for a African Cichlid), and the yellow labs are also pretty easy going. Depending on numbers you are interested in, I would go with a 4' tank minimum and the wider and longer you can go the better IME.

I currently have 7 yellow labs, 6 Acei, 9 synodontis petricola, and a albino bristlenose pleco in my 75. I plan to keep add around 7 afra cobue. they are all 1- 2 1/2 inches. As they mature Im going to narrow them down to 1m 3-4f of each. It is recommended to have a tank 4'.

Here's a pic of my tank. I plan to take the wall and corner out soon. Then mix lime stone and cichlid stones. Along with some drilled out pots, they seem to love weaving in and out of them.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110830_153012.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110830_153012.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 105
  • ForumRunner_20110830_153127.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110830_153127.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 112
Wow nice tank. So do you guys think that about 7 yellow labs and some mbuna would be fine in a 5ft tank? Thanks

Mattefect said:
Wow nice tank. So do you guys think that about 7 yellow labs and some mbuna would be fine in a 5ft tank? Thanks

Thanx. Labs are actually mbuna, so that would work out fine. Some mbuna a crazy aggressive though. Just make sure that whatever you go with that they all have the same diet. Malawi bloat is a sickness they can get from feeding too much/ food too high in protein. If they get bloat they usually die in 7-10 days and its hard to save them. I switched nls thera a formula and havent had a problem since. Before I get a fish I start by googleing the fish. Example "Acei cichlid profile" then read. Cichlid-forum.com 's profiles are very helpful.

Oh ok awesome, sadly I don't have nls here :( so I will ask my lfs what the best food for them is. Are bloodworms once every three nights fine? And then whatever my lfs recommends every day fine ?

Many mbuna in nature eat algae off of rocks. They like peas, carrots, spinach ect. as a supplement to the pellets.

Mattefect said:
Oh ok awesome, sadly I don't have nls here :( so I will ask my lfs what the best food for them is. Are bloodworms once every three nights fine? And then whatever my lfs recommends every day fine ?

I would not trust a LFS store employee any farther that I could throw them, their job is to sell you stuff you don't need. I know thats not the case with all LFS but sadly most of them are that way. If you need advice on what to purchase ask here first.

There is no need to feed Mbuna bloodworms, in fact they could actually cause bloat or other health problems. If you can't find NLS, Hakari gold and Omega one are also very good quality foods. If you are feeding a high quality pellet of any of the brands listed above there is no reason to feed anything else.

I get my NLS from ebay. I find the best prices there. I also dont feed bloodworms to my Mbuna. I prefer spirulina with brine.

Alright I will look around for those other brands. Do u know if tetra is a good brand ?

Sadly shipping
From eBay is alot about $17 to ship
Some fish food I think is overpriced but I
Could if i wanted to

Mattefect, where are you from? check amazon.com then. I ordered my NLS online the first time but shipping was now where near that.

Luckily the Aquarium fish store here has NLS :)

There is no need to feed Mbuna bloodworms, in fact they could actually cause bloat or other health problems. If you can't find NLS, Hakari gold and Omega one are also very good quality foods. If you are feeding a high quality pellet of any of the brands listed above there is no reason to feed anything else.

He beat me to it. My droid x started freaking out in the middle of my last post.

it is also recomended that you overstock a little to spread aggression, depending on what kind of cichlids you go with.

Mattefect said:
Ok and what would be overstocking? 20 fish ?

Have you put together a stock list yet? I would say if they are all juvenile 20-25. Ideally you want to set up a 1male to 3-4 female ratio. Maybe start with 6 of 4 different genus? Then narrow as they mature.

Ok is it fine if you put different types of malawi's together?

Back
Top Bottom