Male and female JD?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tobykourtney

Aquarium Advice Addict
What is typical Breeding behavior for jack dempseys I bought a "female" and 2 weeks later bought a "male". As soon as I put the male in the tank they both got bright blue and jaw locked for about 3 hours and for the past 2 days they've just been hanging a few inches from each other in my 55 gallon tank. Is it a safe bet I actually have a male and female

What is typical Breeding behavior for jack dempseys I bought a "female" and 2 weeks later bought a "male". As soon as I put the male in the tank they both got bright blue and jaw locked for about 3 hours and for the past 2 days they've just been hanging a few inches from each other in my 55 gallon tank. Is it a safe bet I actually have a male and female

If you can post pictures we would be able to tell. JD's are quite easy to sex.

Sorry they're really shy so it was tricky getting a pic

image-1543624704.jpg

Attachments

• image-3179998018.jpg
    image-3179998018.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 151
I've read that males have more blue specks throughout there body and with females it's mostly on the face and males have a pointed dorsal fin and with females it's rounded so I went on that when I was buying them hopefully I was correct.

Lip locking is a SA cichlid pairing and mating behavior. It's the fish equivalent of having the lights low and Barry White on the radio. :brows:

So Gratz on the JD pair.

Hopefully the better pictures help. The more I look at them the more I'm not so sure

No, well... Idk I was talking to a breeder that said he doesn't follow the dorsal fin theory any more because its been wrong for him several times. So it just something your going to have to watch.

I don't know if they were just establishing dominance would they be following each other within an inch for the entire day. Ill try to get a better pic of the other one later.

Hopefully these will work I have a 13 mp camera on my phone so they look much better before they are uploaded :-(

image-4114608624.jpg

Attachments

• image-2309315047.jpg
    image-2309315047.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 131
Back
Top Bottom