Male Dwarf Cichlid Community Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cyberkat

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm considering adding fish to my 40 gallon breeder community. Do not want to deal with any breeding Cichlids at the moment, so just a couple of dwarf males and maybe a grouping of Emperor or Blue Emperor Tetra as well.

Current fish in 40g breeder- Nerite Snails, LF Danio, Peppered Cories, Kuhli Loach, 2 male GBR, female Betta, Laetacara Dorsigera & 1 male Betta to be added soon. Tank is heavily planted (plastic/live mix) & has drift wood, slate, cocunut shell and large-small plants all over to hide in.

**Female Betta is established in tank and does fantastic! Plan on adding the male Betta soon. He is not very aggressive, the combination of current from HOB and his finnage slow him down considerably; also he has lived within a community set up before as well. Am not expecting any major issues since the tank is large enough and it's well planted with plenty of hiding places. Have done several "test runs" and they were fine together.

The Dorsigera hides as much as my Kuhli's do and he doesn't like the male Betta or the GBR either so I will be moving him to another tank.

Any suggestions on a couple of dwarf Cichlid males I might be able to safely add to my set up?? Would like something that is a mid level swimmer if possible!! :fish2:

Not sure whether they are bottom or mid level swimmers, or both like my Bolivian Rams have become, but Apistogramma cichlids would probably do well in there. Lots of brightly colored ones like the orange flash, the agassazii double and triple reds, Even seen some agassazii "tefe blue pearls" on aquabid being sold by The Wet Spot out here in Portland.

You shouldn't mix Betta's with Dwarf Cichlids, it will get mauled as its far to slow to move away from an angry Ram. You might be able to get one more male in the tank and that's it's full, even at that you still might get issues if you get a particularly nasty individual, at that stocking level you will not get the best out of your Dwarfs.

Last edited:
Borderlesscott-Am looking for something other than another Ram. One of mine (fully grown) occasionally will "head butt" one of the other fish if they get to close to him; only Ram I've ever had thats grumpy like this one! My aim is for a peacefull community tank with several male dwarf's if possible. If not, I will need a colorfull "center piece" fish for my tank since my fish are all smallish.

Back
Top Bottom