Male or female?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is the best i can do.....i also included a picture of one of my green terrors

ForumRunner_20120525_125457.jpg

ForumRunner_20120525_125404.jpg

ForumRunner_20120525_125334.jpg

pointed anal fin = male, rounded anal fin = female, cichlid is the only thing this works for

pointed anal fin = male, rounded anal fin = female, cichlid is the only thing this works for

That is completely inaccurate, genetics has more to do with fin shape and is not a accurate way to determine sex. Below are a couple of female convicts that would disagree, I'll toss in one of my female festae for you too! I could attach hundreds of photos of female cichlids as you say that has this trait.

Attachments

• Picture003.jpg
    Picture003.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 66
  • DCP_3282.jpg
    DCP_3282.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC_0516.jpg
    DSC_0516.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
So hukit, can female cichlids also have the knot on their head or is it a strictly male trait?

So hukit, can female cichlids also have the knot on their head or is it a strictly male trait?

Yes females can develop a nunchal hump, even more so when there is no male present snd they are the dominant fish. It will never grow quite as large a male but it is very pronounced none the less.

I ask because one of my green terrors started getting a hump and I'm hoping I have a pair.

ForumRunner_20120527_193257.jpgthey only do this in one corner and then after a few minutes they rub bodies and slap fins.......any take on that?

They don't reach sexual maturity until they're 3-4" or around 9- 12 months do all your seeing is aggression and nothing else.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom