Male or female?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

omni024

Aquarium Advice Activist
I picked this guy/gal up at petsmart about 6 months ago 1. Because I thought it was male 2. I was curious as to how he would color up. It was is the assorted peacock tank so other than that I don't know much about his breed (if there is one)
The reason I ask is because my red empress is chasing him/her around and exhibiting breeding behavior (or what I think is breeding behavior)

So other than the question in the title what species do you think it is? Or is it just a mut?
IMG_0929.jpgIMG_0923.jpgIMG_0927.jpg

It looks like Aulonocara jacobfreibergi. If so, it's a male, but not fully colored up yet. In time, the fins should exhibit more of an orange color, and the red on the sides should deepen. Female A. jacobfreibergi are typically a washed out pink/orange color.

Thanks :) it's only about 2.5- 3 inches long so he still has a little ways to go. And again thanks for your reply

I've never seen a gourami with cichlids before. Oo that pretty cool. They all get along well?

Mine gets long perfectly well I had him before I got into cichlids and he was fully grown. He just likes to chill and touch everyone with his tentacle things. He is one I do keep an eye on though just in case someone decides to go crazy. But so far everything is working out.

Mine gets long perfectly well I had him before I got into cichlids and he was fully grown. He just likes to chill and touch everyone with his tentacle things. He is one I do keep an eye on though just in case someone decides to go crazy. But so far everything is working out.

That's awesome! I would never had thought it would work :)

Yeah it just depends on the personality of the fish. I remember seeing a picture of this big Oscar and a gourami in the same tank. The guy said that they grew up together and were totally fine. I honestly would never think that would work but hey to each his own.

Back
Top Bottom