male or female jack please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

superfly77

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have a jack dempsey that is 3 inches long and want to no if it is a female or a male. would like to get a mate. i think its a female on what i readed try to send pic. the pic. are not that great try to send diff. ones later. all the blue that i can see is on the mouth.

Attachments

• IMG_3182.jpg
    IMG_3182.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_3183.jpg
    IMG_3183.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_3187.jpg
    IMG_3187.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_3191.jpg
    IMG_3191.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 153
How do u know if it's a female. Cuz I got a big one and I need to know

With most cichlids you should get the fish when they're young, so they can pair up on there own! You can add a male at anytime but typically the male will need to be larger than the female.

The females have more blue spangles(spots) on the gill plate and males have more on there bodies. This is not accurate until the fish are matured

when i get the male what do i need to watch for? so i need to get male that is bigger than her right?

You don't always have to get a larger male. Keep in mind that is the females tank so it is possible that you won't be able to add just one male! It would be advisable to add several fish and wait for two fish to pair. Then return the others to the fish store or move them to another tank!
Basically, you will see the two fish become territorial towards eachother and the fish. Then the pair will become inseparable and will work together to defend their territory! You now have a breeding pair.

Can u tell me what this is. ( male or female)

Attachments

• image-3400732700.jpg
    image-3400732700.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 110
  • image-1891387669.jpg
    image-1891387669.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 97
i bought a male today. i took some of my other fish out for now but not all of them. they did the lip lock but now she go after him but he runs away for now . do you think they will mate? they are about the same size. thanks for ur info

Its a waiting game now. They may or may not pair but you could try tapping a small mirror on the aquarium to make the male attack it. This usually rouses the female to breed. The male also needs to get a foot hold in the tank or they won't mate!

i might put more hiding spots in or do i leave it the way it is i'm new to this its not as easy as mollies breeding

well he is standing his ground a little more and swims away too. i have not move things around, will soon. try to get pic. of him but he hides pretty good right now. she is testing from time to time. but from what i can see there have been no lip locking going on like the first time he was in the tank

Before they from a pair they will gill flare at eachother and liplock quite often. If the female starts hanging out at the top of the aquarium and swims sideways, that's a bad sign! Jacks can go a few weeks to a few months between spawns. I have heard jd can be a one time spawner and then move on, sometimes not life partners!

Back
Top Bottom