Male to Female Ratio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From all the research I tried to do and from all the pictures I've seen, these seem like some of coolest fish! However.. Will the cichlids not eat the plants/tear them up?

Nope, I'm not 100% sure on apistos as I haven't done much research on them. However, they are not your average cichlid I'd say they're closer to discus in temperament. Don't dig or eat plants but can be aggressive if breeding. I'm sure theres others who can chime in on experiences but that's my understanding from briefly researching them.

My only first hand experiences ended badly because of my stocking in the tank. I'm wishing I'd done a pair of apistos and a school of black neons or something like that.

If you're going the Apisto route, plants are a great thing to have although they are rarely found in their natural habitat. Dirt is good for planted tanks but you'll find lighter colored fine sand in their natural habitat. This can be a problem as some plant don't do well in sand. Either way, Apisto's are great. The best little fish around.

They love plants, all my dwarf tanks are heavilyyy planted.m

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Once I get another tank I will put sand in the middle with black gravel coming in from the sides with lots of caves (if I do cichlids) so plants could work in the gravel!

I've thought about it and I think I will go with having a female in there as well. Would the female be stressed too much if it was only her with another male?

Many dwarf cichlid species are monogamous, mating for life often. Some species are known to be harem breeders at times, like a. cacatuoides, but generally, most species form a single pair bond. Many apistogramma species prefer to be in pairs

Many dwarf cichlid species are monogamous, mating for life often. Some species are known to be harem breeders at times, like a. cacatuoides, but generally, most species form a single pair bond. Many apistogramma species prefer to be in pairs

There are exceptions, cac females will kill other females in certain situations to form a pair, I've witnessed this first hand..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Typical females haha just kidding! But thanks guys! Any idea if pet stores such as Petco or Petsmart sell dwarves like Rams?

Petsmart near me sells bolivians and german blue, but I would never go to a big chain to buy my fish personally, especially not delicate species like rams. Google and look for a locally owned LFS or breeder for better results

Back
Top Bottom