Many Newbie questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShoelessJoe

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is my first Cichlid tank. It's a 30 gallon tank and has been up and running about two months without incident...until recently. The orange (ID please?) had always been the dominant fish in the tank, but until I introduced the Johanni pictured, he had been a benevolent ruler. Once the Johanni was introduced, however, two peacocks and a zebra died within days. I thought at first I had introduced an illness, but both fish have not shown any signs of illness at all. And in fact, the others hasn't been sick either. One night they were healthy, the next day my kids are calling me at work saying we have a dead fish. My only conclusion is that the peacocks and zebra were aggressed. Recently, the orange has even been aggressing the catfish in the tank! So I want to get some more fish in there to settle things down, but I don't want to lead anyone to the slaughter.

So, my questions: what fish should I be looking to introduce that can live with these two without dying? Would adding some dither fish help? Does that work? And if so, what kind?

Attachments

• image-1813978163.jpg
    image-1813978163.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 72
  • image-3967964120.jpg
    image-3967964120.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 75
To be honest, I'd rethink your stock. Mbuna, like red zebras (first pic) and johanni, usually require a minimum of a 4 foot length tank. If it were me, I'd return the two you have, and look into doing a new world dwarf/small cichlid tank. Many wont be *as* colorful as Africans, but you can do much more with them and you won't have these blood baths on your hands, which will continue no matter what, as the tank size is small and johanni are quite aggressive.

I'd personally do a pair of mikrogeophagus ramirezi (blue rams), with a school of tetras, like lemon or black neon, and a small school of Cory, like sterbai (they can handle higher temperatures than most cories). Obviously this is just one opinion, and I am biased towards this setup as it tends to give the least amount of headaches IMHO.

Also, if that's bamboo in there, I'd take it out. Only the roots and base should be submerged, otherwise the leaves will all die and it will start to rot ;)

I agree african cichlids are much to aggressive even the most peaceful in a tank smaller then 4ft .. If you want to keep them upgrade if you dont wanna upgrade rehome them if not you will end up with 1 remaining victor so to speak

Thanks for the replies. Well, things have settled down and the two of them seem to get along fine. So, that leaves me with the question what do I do now? I don't want to send them back because I've had the Mbuna for over a month and the Johanni for a few weeks. Also, I've grown attached to them. Maybe 30 gallons is ok for just two fish?

As for the plant, I don't *think* it's bamboo...my wife picked it up at Petco (I know, I know) over a month ago and it's been doing fine.

I hate to disappoint you, but what was stated above is accurate. That 30 gallon isn't big enough for even those two Africans. Johanni are extremely aggressive, and chances are within a few months, you will be down to only one fish, most likely the Johanni, but if the orange zebra is big enough, he might win out. Then the question becomes "do I want to keep this big tank set up for only one little old fish?"

All mbuna are territorial fish, meaning the male fish stake out a territory, usually 3 feet or more in diameter and then defend that territory from all comers, with the possible exception of females that are ready to breed. In other words, those two fish have both claimed your entire tank as their territory and they are going to distroy anything else that comes in, including each other. They may take a break for awhile to rebuild their strength, but eventually they will be back at it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom