Mbuna cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have 23 in a 55 but I have a pretty aggressive stock and am waay over filtered. What kind do you like?

A jbj reaction 4 stage (not a big fan), a diy and a hob penguin. I'm going to be replacing the hob with another canister one of theese days soon I currently have about a 10x turnover rate I'm aiming for 15x. And the diy is for the grow bed I have set up to suck up some of the nitrates.in a 70 you could get away with 25-30 if properly stocked Are you looking for all male or male and female. All male will be less aggressive than m/f but with m/f the males will have a tad bit more color I did m/f and though I love having all the fry if I could go back I would have done all male that way I could have had a little more diversity.

Last edited:
You are not going to fit 25-30 4-6" Mbuna plus rock work in to a 70 gallon, if the stock is chosen carefully there is no need to crowd them like that.
Not to mention how quickly water conditions would degrade.

I would choose 3 species and add 5-6 of each one. I wouldn't choose any fish that exceeds 6", make sure to choose fish that stay with in an inch of each other and have the same temperament level.

You are not going to fit 25-30 4-6" Mbuna plus rock work in to a 70 gallon, if the stock is chosen carefully there is no need to crowd them like that.
Not to mention how quickly water conditions would degrade.

I would choose 3 species and add 5-6 of each one. I wouldn't choose any fish that exceeds 6", make sure to choose fish that stay with in an inch of each other and have the same temperament level.

I was just saying that could be his/her max load. And yes with that many they may have to do 2 pwcs a week. A good safe number to aim for is 20

Yea I have 20+ in my 55 none are fully grown tho like was what said above it's a aggressive stock didn't want to be limited to one or two species, or the same old yellow lab and other mbuna people recommend on here.

Yea I have 20+ in my 55 none are fully grown tho like was what said above it's a aggressive stock didn't want to be limited to one or two species, or the same old yellow lab and other mbuna people recommend on here.

There are tons of Mbuna that are regularly available that stay 3-4.5", are fairly mild mannered and look nothing like the "same old yellow lab and other Mbuna people recommend". Not to sound harsh but your statement comes from a place lacking experience and research. Myself and a few others ( Garfy, Andrew, Freakgecko) on here go out of our way to recommend stock lists that contain the more uncommon species. However your average person doesn't want to shop online, which is where you get those less common fish. Thus people get stuck with the same boring fish.

If you truly did stock your 55 gallon tank with the larger more aggressive fish you are facing an up hill battle as those fish mature between territorial disputes and rapidly degrading water quality to name a few.

There are tons of Mbuna that are regularly available that stay 3-4.5", are fairly mild mannered and look nothing like the "same old yellow lab and other Mbuna people recommend". Not to sound harsh but your statement comes from a place lacking experience and research. Myself and a few others ( Garfy, Andrew, Freakgecko) on here go out of our way to recommend stock lists that contain the more uncommon species. However your average person doesn't want to shop online, which is where you get those less common fish. Thus people get stuck with the same boring fish.

If you truly did stock your 55 gallon tank with the larger more aggressive fish you are facing an up hill battle as those fish mature between territorial disputes and rapidly degrading water quality to name a few.

First off sorry if I offended you, and I Dnt have years of experience like say some of the members here but I do have a year and a half under my belt and that's more than what most people can say. Also my stock has been fine for over a year and I do plan on upgrading to at lease a 6 ft just so I can pack it with mbuna. Trust I did all the right things to make my tank successful.

You should be fine but may want to upgrade the 50 to a canister filter later down the road. Just remember to keep the stock at the low end and we are all here to help.

I agree that filtration is fine for now but once your fish start to reach adult size I'd upgrade to a Fluval 405/6 or Rena XP4 and run that with the 110.

Also what are the measurements of your tank?!

All off topic posts were removed. Please stay on topic and help the OP out with his question.

I'm at 32 in a 60 lol

Wow. I have 20 in my 70 gallon. To each is own, and if you can make it work more power to you. What filters are you using and how many water changes a week? Just curious. Also what kind of cichlids?

Back
Top Bottom