Mbuna cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonedog

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ive browsed for hours for the info im looking for. How many mbunas should I put in a 210g african mbuna community tank? Found lots of advice for 55g and 125g. I think I want it overstocked as thats what most say I should do. I have 2 cf500uv canisters for my filtration. Crushed coral substrate and lots of rocks. Thanks

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

As long as ur filtration keeps up I think ur lookin at possibly 70 to 80 fish If they say 15 to 20 in a 55 do the math and that's wat I come up with

Remember you need to account for reproduction in your potential stocking unless you are going with a single sex tank. You can't max out your stocking potential and expect to have reproduction occur successfully.

Ive came up with a list of some I like. Does anyone see problems or have any other candidates for my tank?
Labidochromis caeruleus
Iodotropheus sperengae
Pseudo acei
Cynotilapia afra
Pseudo saulosi
Pseudo socolofi

I was going to stock with juveniles because #1 theyre cheaper and #2 maybe they'll get along better as they mature.

Remember you need to account for reproduction in your potential stocking unless you are going with a single sex tank. You can't max out your stocking potential and expect to have reproduction occur successfully.

How could I go about same sex tank?

How many of each are you getting? The saulosi might be the only one I see having some issue. Cynotilapia afra (?)

Idk. I have a 210g to fill. I found the afra on google. Whats problem with saulosi? Too aggresive?

Other way around.....Your aquarium is large so that might not be a problem with stocking. Just make sure that they are are least 2+ in if you do get them. Out of all the group they were the smallest in growing so keep in eye on them....

Any suggestions for other tankmates? And quantity? Im new at this and decided to skip small tanks and went straight for 210g after having a 55g for only 2 weeks.

Ive came up with a list of some I like. Does anyone see problems or have any other candidates for my tank?
Labidochromis caeruleus
Iodotropheus sperengae
Pseudo acei
Cynotilapia afra
Pseudo saulosi
Pseudo socolofi

I was going to stock with juveniles because #1 theyre cheaper and #2 maybe they'll get along better as they mature.

That list won't work.. it will either end in a blood bath, hybrids everywhere or a little of both.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/lake-malawi-aquarium-stocking-cichlids/

This bottom link has a break down of a 210 gallon hardware and stocking numbers

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/lake-malawi-mbuna-stocking-dcor-hardware/

Sent from my VS950 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
Andrews the man when it comes to mbuna. In 55 I'd do species only tank of saulosi. Mes and females get great color but I've had difficulty keeping them alive for unknown reasons. Another fish u could do is cynotilapia hara white top. Males and females look great also. Or u could do the yellow labs and maingano (pseudotropheus cyanerhabdoes) for good color combo

In 210 I'd do the following in groups of 6

Metriaclima sp msobo
Pseudo acei
Labidochromis hongi
Cynotilapia sp lion
Pseudo albino socolofi
A type of tropheops - sorry can't be specific. Phones dying!

Back
Top Bottom