mbuna food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrp1588

Aquarium Advice Addict
What would be the best commercially available staple diet for mbunas? Preferably something that can be found at petsmart, as I got a gift card for christmas. Also, maybe some nice treats I could give them...I saw that they had a veggie clip of zuccini at the LFS in the mbuna tanks. I was thinking since they are sich notorious plant eaters i could just put in some anacharis clipping once and a while from my planted tank as a treat for them.

I feed New Life Spectrum, don't know if it is sold at your petsmart. It isn't here. Also zucchini, cukes, peas.

well, i looked today, and most of the food seemed way too rich in protein. My aunt got me some Top Fin Small Cichlid Pellets...They have pictures of mbunas on the front, but I guess that's no guarantee. It has 42% crude protein which concerns me...that's a little more than what is in my normal tropical foods. O, and NLS isn't offered at the petsmart, but we do have a LFS that carries it for a pretty penny. lol

If you're going to be looking for pellets at PetsMart, make sure they are for African Cichlids, and not just Cichlids. Alot of Cichlid food is made for South Americans. I agree, NLS is the best staple food for Africans. It will grealy improve coloration and nutrition. I don't know if they would really munch too much on your plants. They tend to dig up the plants more than eat. Well, that's been my experience anyways. Zuc is a better alternative to hang from a veg clip.

NLS is actually not that expensive. It seems like it is, but for the amount of fish food that you get, it's not bad. The $20 jar lasts us longer than any other pellets that we used. We'd go through 3 or 4 bags of Hikari before 1 jar of the NLS.

I did a little research for you Jase, and I found a thread on the Cichlid Forum (most searches for New Life Spectrum Crude Protein brings up forum threads) that talks about crude protein in regards to Africans. It stated that Africans should not have crude proteins above 40%. I'll do a little more research later, but the thread was formed after a study was conducted on different fish foods that were fed to African Cichlids to test the results.

ok, thanks a lot. I plan to go to my LFS with the NLS today anyway to look for a nice Texas Holy Rock centerpiece. I'll look into getting some NLS. Could I still feed the stuff my aunt got me like...once or twice a week so it doesn't go to waste? Stupid me already opened the package to look how big the pellet were.

$10 for a 150g bottle. I also purchased some fish today. The tank has been cycled for a while now so I figured I'd get some. I have 3 yellow labs, 4 Kenyi's, and 4...I believe it was albino red something's. Here's some pictures

Attachments

• mbunatank.jpg
    mbunatank.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 62
Looks like they are enjoying their new home. You won't go wrong with the NLS trust me. My fish love it and are coloring up very well!

The tank looks great so far! :) Nice setup. If you have a pic of the "albino red something", maybe I could help ID it. :D I take it you are going for the saltwater effect?

I suppose it does sorta resemble a SW tank, hehe. Anyway, the fish who's name i forgot can be seen in the "nice closeups" picture and the "hiding" picture. I plan to get another holy rock for the right side of the tank when i can get the cash. Then I think it'll be pretty much done as far as decor goes. I think I have some more room for fish though. The store has some demasoni's, acei's, cobalt blues...they have a whole wall of cichlids...I can't remember them all. Anyway, I'm open to suggestions.

ok, they were albino red zebras...they don't look very albino to me though. They are quite colorful, but the do have the pink albino eyes.

beautiful fish!!! Cichlids are fun and i love your rocks. Im gonna have to get some of that food for mine.

Back
Top Bottom