mbuna growth rate timeline?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

herp_mommy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anyone have a timeline/ guideline to the growth rate of these cichlids? I'm raising fry now and I'd like to get them big, fat and healthy asap without jeopardizing their health. I assume frequent water changes and high protein meals will be the best way to do this. I'm setting up a fish room with 2.5, 10, and 20 gal tanks for grow-out. Can't plumb the entire system together as it's an upstairs bedroom. I plan on sponge filters and 3x weekly water changes of 75%. Feeding bbs, then beefheart, then NLS Grow formula, then onto NLS cichlid formula. I just want to make sure they're growing at the rate they should be :ROFLMAO:

Does anyone have a timeline/ guideline to the growth rate of these cichlids? I'm raising fry now and I'd like to get them big, fat and healthy asap without jeopardizing their health. I assume frequent water changes and high protein meals will be the best way to do this. I'm setting up a fish room with 2.5, 10, and 20 gal tanks for grow-out. Can't plumb the entire system together as it's an upstairs bedroom. I plan on sponge filters and 3x weekly water changes of 75%. Feeding bbs, then beefheart, then NLS Grow formula, then onto NLS cichlid formula. I just want to make sure they're growing at the rate they should be :ROFLMAO:

No high protein or beef heart. Most mbuna are primarily herbivores and cannot digest a high protein diet. Just stick with the NLS.

Reactions: HN1
Tanks

You may want to do some research on proper tank sizing for Mbuna. If your largest tank is a 20g that is not recommended for any Mbuna cichlids that I am aware of. If you're looking for maximizing growth then go as large as possible. I'm sure you know this already since you keep discus. I find that Mbuna grow slowly compared to peacocks and Haps. I ussally "grow out" my mbuna fry/juvies in the sump for my 75g. When they hit about 1 inch I put them in the main.

You may want to do some research on proper tank sizing for Mbuna. If your largest tank is a 20g that is not recommended for any Mbuna cichlids that I am aware of. If you're looking for maximizing growth then go as large as possible.

Once they're large enough, they'll be either transferred to my 125 to fully grow out, or sold. :)

I figured you were aware. To answer your question, I am not aware of any growth chart. In my aquarium 1 to 1.5 years to hit full size. I think my zebras are still growing though and I have had them for 2.5 years.

I figured you were aware. To answer your question, I am not aware of any growth chart. In my aquarium 1 to 1.5 years to hit full size. I think my zebras are still growing though and I have had them for 2.5 years.

My zebras seem to be slow growers also. On the other hand my bumblebee is blowing up real fast.

I had yellow labs, bumblebee, reds and yellow tails. They all grown in about a year and a half. Maybe still growing but most were about 4" give or take 1/2" in that time. Hard to tell for me unless I take pics to see lol.

Back
Top Bottom