mbuna or SA/CA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Haha nice one Hukit, those things are like little piranha when in large schools :) super cool though!

Another one similar to the buenos wires are astanyax tetras. Large bodied and fast, but not commonly seen :) I had 4 and those things would shred ghost shrimp like it was their job!

Moenkhausia pittieri or Hyphessobrycon pulchripinnis would also sort of fit the bill, diamonds are stunning in large schools.

ive seen the exodon b4 i forgot about them lol. so will the salvini butcher them or viasa versa

I have a friend that had them 7-8 years ago with no success in two different tank set ups, the first the tetras were killed and the second the cichlids were nipped to the point of stress inducing illness. So it's really hit or miss in all honesty, they're expensive and you'd need at least six. There are cheaper and more peaceful choices such as the others mentioned.

true. so what about some other cichlids with this pair. i know 75g isnt a tone but its what i got.

ya long term is pretty much it i mayb can squeeze in a 90g later but until i know for sure i dont wanna do something wrong like get a pair f fish in a tank thts to small

Salvini are a great choice, once mine get larger 4 will be rehomed and the dominant pair will reside in my 72 bowfront which is basically the same footprint as a regular 75g. With them you get all the color and attitude of central americans without the huge size, they're a great option for that tank. I'd add a school of tetras and a BN and called its stocked.

When your ready I'd buy 5-6 fish and let them pair naturally then rehome the rest, there's nothing worse than trying to force aggressive fish to like each other. Mine started spawning around 1.5-2" so you'll see eggs very quick, and fairly often too.

I'm thoroughly impressed with the SA/CA leaning of this thread. When it started, I was sure there would be a lot of recommendations for lake Malawi cichlids.

As for the schooling fish. The buenos aires school looks fantastic. I tried it with my Oscar and it looked great, until the school started disappearing...quickly. I'd stay away from the Exodons as I've heard some horror stories about cichlids stripped bare.

I've never owned salvinis, but Hukits pictures opened my eyes to how nice they can be.

5x5 said:
I'm thoroughly impressed with the SA/CA leaning of this thread. When it started, I was sure there would be a lot of recommendations for lake Malawi cichlids.

lol you and me both, I have to admit its nice seeing more SA/CA love going around. Mainly because I know nothing about Africans. Haha.

Do it go salvini!!! They rock! ;)

Maybe the mods can give us our own thread and separate the cichlid thread in to two corresponding groups. @mods..... :wink,wink:

Salvini are a great choice, once mine get larger 4 will be rehomed and the dominant pair will reside in my 72 bowfront which is basically the same footprint as a regular 75g. With them you get all the color and attitude of central americans without the huge size, they're a great option for that tank. I'd add a school of tetras and a BN and called its stocked.

When your ready I'd buy 5-6 fish and let them pair naturally then rehome the rest, there's nothing worse than trying to force aggressive fish to like each other. Mine started spawning around 1.5-2" so you'll see eggs very quick, and fairly often too.

just to verify a pair of salvini with what was mentioned before long term will work in my 75g? correct

just to verify a pair of salvini with what was mentioned before long term will work in my 75g? correct

Yes a pair will find long term, the tetras will be hit or miss depending on your individual temperment of the salvini but mine are tolerant of non-cichlids.

ok lol now im excited!!! hope fully the school will work. ill add pics as i put the fish in and what not.

ok lol now im excited!!! hope fully the school will work. ill add pics as i put the fish in and what not.

Looking forward to pictures, here is a few of mine.

27198-albums9290-picture38490.jpg

27198-albums9290-picture38489.jpg

Last edited:
**** HUKIT, What's your aquascaping fee?

I have no skills, unless you count my bow staff and nunchaku skills. I tossed some rocks in with a expensive piece of manzanita and a couple of fake plants, I hardly call that aquascaping.

HUKIT said:
I have no skills, unless you count my bow staff and nunchaku skills. I tossed some rocks in with a expensive piece of manzanita and a couple of fake plants, I hardly call that aquascaping.

So modest haha don't act like your not a fish guru lol ;) ... Your salvini tank does look amazing though. Don't forget if/when you are getting rid of your others send me a pm

Back
Top Bottom