Mbuna Setup Some advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

migdem

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

I have a 120 litre tank Juwel Lido 120 and would like to change the current setup to an Mbuna setup.

To begin with my tap water source has GH 16, PH 8, KH3. I think this is the perfect setup for Mbuna setup right?

Now for filtration I was going to buy the Eheim Ecco Pro 200 ( 600 litres/hr ). Also was going to add another water pump to circulate more the water.

Lightning... right now I have 2x 24W T5 with reflectors. High-Lite® Day tube and High-Lite® Nature tube. Should I change one of these (Juwel also have High-Lite® Colour tube enhances natural colours It intensifies red and blue colours)? These have been running for 1 year. Should I change them because of the light intensity? I have reflectors should I remove them? Currently I leave them on for 10 hours a day because I have plants but now I will not have any more plants or will have some plants that do not require that much of plants like tape grass so how much light should be on?

Gravel what should I get? I would love sand. Maybe something from Seachem (onyx sand) or something else?

Now for the fish. I would like to get for sure labidochromis caeruleus (yellow labs), then something to mix with yellow labs are Labidochromis sp. Hongi (Kimpuma, Hongi Red Top), or last preference Pseudotropheus demasoni & Pseudotropeus saulosi.

Which do you think that is the best to get togeter? Also how much should I get?

Thanks in advance for your replies

thank you :D

well i read that minimum tank for mbuna is a 120 litre tank. I think I will have adequate filter to cope with them.

Well, its not really about filtration. I'm sure you can provide adequate filtration, but what you wont be able to do is provide adequate swimming room. Mbuna are very active. I have a 150g mbuna tank which is only 5' long. My fish swim around using the whole tank. Most mbuna are very active as well as very territorial.

While I dont suggest that you stock mbuna in this tank, I will say that you will have MUCH better luck if you stick with rustys or demasoni. I would only have one species in the tank though, just my opinion of course.

If you went with some tanganyikan fish, you could have alot more options. I had good luck with brichardi and julidichromis in smaller tanks of 30g or more.

+1 for mfd. Mbuna definitely need their swimming room. Also, Figure 8's will need brackish and I think, even saltwater when they're adults.

even if i make a species tank like electric yellow labs only?

I would stay away from demasoni since the number for stock to reduce aggression would be to much in that tank but one species of labs or rusties would work. I would get all males or in that small of a tank make sure you follow the male to female ratio properly.

Ok then will go for the electric yellow labs only then a species tank

Back
Top Bottom