Mbuna Stocking List

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

subliminalanarchy

Aquarium Advice Activist
So after my last thread I've been busy researching what I want to put in my future tank. The tank is probably going to be a 60g that is both longer and wider than the standard 55. This is what I came up with:

Stocking List
3 Yellow Labs
3 Rusty Cichlids
3 Acei
1 Demasoni

The first 3 species are supposed to be fairly tame for mbuna, so I don't think the 3/1 F/M ratio has to be followed completely. The demasoni is supposed to be very aggressive, but only with it's own kind and other fish that resemble it, so I thought having just one in there would be okay with this list.

Opinions and suggestions welcome. Thanks.

That's not nearly enough IMO. I would do 1m to 4-6f of the first 3... I wouldn't do demasoni. I'd get another fish and do the same ratio with them

That's not nearly enough IMO. I would do 1m to 4-6f of the first 3... I wouldn't do demasoni. I'd get another fish and do the same ratio with them

I agree, with the exception of acei as I feel they are to large for a 55 gallon. But 4 speices works well in a 55 with the correct male to female ratio's. I you try dem's I would start with 15-19 to control aggression because you will end up rehome some of the males. Goal would be 2-3 males with 12 females.

One of my favorite mbuna set ups is demasoni and yellow labs...love the blue/yellow set up. Which would consist of 15 dems and 6-7 yellow labs.

mfd- You're probably right about the demasoni, I'll skip it. They're one of the coolest fish so I was pushing for it.

hukit - I totally agree. Yellow lab / Demasoni tanks are the best. I would love to set this one up like that but I probably shouldn't fit 20 mbunas in my 60g. :(

Revised Stock List:
4-5 Yellow Labs
4-5 Rusty Cichlids
4-5 Cynotilapia Afra

Think the cynotilapia afra are a better choice? Right number of fish?

If you keep up the maintanence you will have no probs with 20 fish in a 60gal provided it is 4ft long.

(here in Oz we measure our tanks by length rather than volume)

Back
Top Bottom