Mbuna suggestions for a 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustOneMore20

Algae Fighter
I'm rethinking my stocking plan for my 55g mbuna tank.

So far i have:
9 Yellow labs
4 Albino socolofis

I plan on keeping only 6 of the labs once they get a bit bigger. 3 of them will be taken to the LFS.
I plan on adding a group of 4 Cynotilapia afra Cobue (1m/3f).

I was going to add a fourth group, Rusty Cichlids, but I would like to know if you guys (and gals) have any suggestions. Since the cobue females won't be that attractive, I'm wanting to add something else instead of the Rustys. Problem is, I'm not quite sure what to add. I don't want anything overly aggressive (Auratus, Johanii, Red Zebras)...so that is somewhat limiting.

Any suggestions for something colorful, yet not overly aggressive that would work well with my current stock and future additions (afra cobue)?

Thanks in advance!
Kristin

Thanks...I've been thinking about Acei. A guy on Aquabid has some black Acei...not sure if I could get them anywhere but from him though. They are also a possibility...

Any more?

I'd go with the Aceis. They are beautiful fish. Their deep purple coloration and bright yellow tails look gorgeous. They like to be in groupings so I'd get at least 4. Cobalts are also another option. They are a bright pale blue coloration. If you were to change out your bulbs and put in Actinic and 50/50's, you would notice a big difference in the coloration. They really bring out the natural colors of Africans. The Black Acei's are Tanzanian Blacks. They are beautiful too. Hard to come by in certain parts. We finally found one and are looking for a female for possible breeding. You can get a pretty penny for Tanzanian Black and Lab juvi's.

The Black Acei's are Tanzanian Blacks. They are beautiful too. Hard to come by in certain parts.
Thanks for clearing that up FishyFanatic. I have seen this guy auction the Black Acei's off on aquabid, but that is the only place I have seen them. The picture he has on his auction is gorgeous. I probably won't get them though because he is selling 8 and I only want 4-6. Plus they are pretty expensive.

I may go with some purple Acei's. I could probably find them locally. Which would save me some shipping costs.

If you were to change out your bulbs and put in Actinic and 50/50's, you would notice a big difference in the coloration
You know I have heard that before. :) I have some Corkscrew vals in the tank though, that I'd like to keep. I could possibly change one bulb to an Actinic, but I'm not sure. I like having the plants in the tank...and with less light, they may not make it. I'll keep that in mind though.

Thanks for the suggestion!

If you have live plants, I'd stick with the regular lights unless you upgrade the strip. For example, if you have a single strip bulb you could upgrade to a twin tube with 50/50s. But I'd stay away from the Actinics with plants unless you really upgrade the strip. :)

Be careful with the Africans and the plants. Africans are diggers. They like to uproot plants while they are "moving furnature" in their home.

Back
Top Bottom