mbuna tank (38 g)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sneakymission

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey i just got a job at my LFS. Hoorah for me! It's an awesome job (at least for a 17 year old). I have a nice 38 gallon thats been ready for fish for a long time because i haven't had any money. Now i have money and don't even have to spend any on my aquarium! (btw i have 2 ac 300s and 2 corner filters, a 200 watt heater, florescent light)

Anyhoo... my boss (the owner) gave me a mated pair of electric yellow labidochromis. He wants me to breed them at home and then bring in the fry to sell at the store. So they made separate territories in my tank (I've got plenty of rock and driftwood). I also mixed some really awesome crushed coral (got from my work for free from a 20 + year old tank) in with some regular gravel. i heard that helps raise the ph a bit and acts as a buffer. I raised the temp to about 79-81 degrees. I had take this puffer and a red tail botia loach from my friend in an emergency and im worried about what they might do or get done to them... so far i haven't had any problems other than the loach getting chased out of their territories every once and a while. should i be worried? I was wondering if theres anything else i could do to ensure breeding. I was thinking maybe i should add another female. i also really wanted to add another species to the tank with contrasting colors. (maybe a electric blue hap or johanni) what would be the best compatibility wise? and also for breeding ease? wow i wrote a lot.... srry.

one last think. i was thinking of planting my tank but i thought live plants got destroyed by any cichlids. anyway i wanted to know peoples opinion on cheap lighting options and also on how unnecessary co2 or anything other stuff i would need. do those antic bulbs work even though they would still be below the 2 + watts per gallon? i have a 36 inch tank and i cant find anyplace that even sells any fixtures that size for a double strip or anything. i was thinking about investing in a t5. wow this is like a novel! ill stop now...

Since you are trying to breed the labs in such a small tank, stick with only labs. Get 1 male for every 3 females.

I agree. :) If you just have to add another species, get something not too aggressive like Rusty Cichlids (although i've heard contrasting info on these) or Acei. Electric Blues get far too large for your tank and Johannis are too aggressive to be kept with Yellow Labs IMO especially when you are trying to breed the labs.

IMO Acei's get much too large for a 38 and honestly, I think the labs are pushing it. I don't recommend any of the common Lake Malawi Cichlids for anything less than a 55 but if you must use that tank size, stick to just the labs and don't overcrowd. Acei's are pretty calm but mine are pushing 4 inches in size right now.

Don't put the puffer in with labs, puffers are pisonous. Iv'e heard of people keeping them with african cichlids. One of the cichlids kept picking on the puffer and eventually killed it. Same cichlid died soon after, probably from poison in the puffers skin. You could try breeding in the 38g, just keep the labs by them selves. 1 male and 2-3 females. I don't like to keep fish in a tank 12 inches front to back. 48x18 is a good size. Even 36x18 is better than 48x12

You can add another trio or quad of another species as long as your tank is 3 feet long. Make sure you have plenty of hiding spots. The red tail boita will be fine with your fish. the only problem is catfish and loaches tend to eat the eggs before the female can pick up the eggs. Make sure you acclimate the loach to the high ph. I would keep the temp alittle cooler. Around 76-78 degress. What size tank are you going to grow up the fry in?

Back
Top Bottom