Mbuna tank—the kinks were worked out for me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Menagerie

Aquarium Advice Addict
Since moving 9 weeks ago, we have lost 5 cichlids (no, 6—Jack Dempsey was just given away). The 80 gal had a total of 4 cichlids and looking very empty. We were left with 2 zebras, a socolofi and a blue acara (okay—not a Mbuna, but fully mature). In the past 9 weeks we accumulated 20 kg of lace rock (added to the amount we already owned). It was evident we needed new fish that would not be aggressive for the sake of aggression, but fish that would hold their own.
I was already planning to go to a tiny cichlid specialty store to pick up shellies for a different tank. My fiancé and I have been there three times in the past two weeks asking questions and getting names of Mbuna we liked. Since I was upset over the loss of Nimbochromis venustus (who Jack had attacked and stressed to death--posted as “Lesson Learned the Hard Way” in Unhealthy Fish), I told my fiancé I might come home with a Rusty cichlid for the 80 gal. :devilish: Why come home with one fish when there was soooo many to choose from! Plus, I had taken all the lace rock out of the 80 gal to catch Jack! With the territories rearranged, it was the perfect time to add a fish or two….
Five fish later (would have been six, but the Marmalade cichlid from the display tank refused to come out of the rocks—I’ll be back!)…another Pseudotropheus zebras (orange), 2 Pseudotropheus ?s (I was trying to write all the names down, but in the excitement didn’t catch these names), a White tail--Gephyrochromis Aceii, and a Rusty cichlid-- Iodotropheus sprengerae. I did not QT them since I had been watching them over the past two weeks and the guy there is fanatical about his fish. Into the 80 gal they went--let the games begin!! To top it all off, the socolofi is gravid and displaying to any mature male—and I thought female cats were bad!
Whew! I will post pictures one day—I need to take pics with my manual camera and then scan them in :roll:

Sounds like an awesome tank, Menagerie ! I'm a Lake Victorian gal myself but you've made some great choices and I'm sure it's an active and beautiful tank for you !

I recently picked up a 2mp Fuji digital for 80$cdn, not great for normal pic's but does a good job for tank shots intended for the web.
Saves all that mucking about with film and scanniing it. :)

Whew! I will post pictures one day—I need to take pics with my manual camera and then scan them in

Sounds pretty good Managerie, I'm with cindywindy on the Lake Victoria Cichlids, but the dang things are so hard to find, I like to stick with Tanganyikans, and Malawi Haps, but Mbuna are a blast to watch. Really active, fun fish.

Back
Top Bottom