Mbuna's and Pleco??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shumway

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is it possiple to keep my common pleco with Mbuna? I really want to do up a nice cichlid tank but i don't want to get rid of my pleco :(

Yes. I keep a Pleco in my 150 and they don't bother him in the slightest. The Kenyi chases off everything even remotely near the castle but for some reason he lets the Pleco hang out. :) Of course YMMV depending on the attitude of each of your fish.

Thank's guy's :D

I was thinking of going with a couple yellow lab's and either red zebra's or saulosi's so it shouldn't be too agresive of a mix,Have to keep the plec or my girl friend will scream :lol:

well though this is one of those VERY contraversial subjects "I myself have never had but slight problems keeping ALMOST and I repeat ALMOST any cichlids with plecos"

though i have never kept mbuna's with them, i have kept similar species and havent had problems, but as previously said "YMMV" lol well thats all!

With the Mbuna that you listed you shouldn't have issues. There may be a lab that becomes aggressive but in general all the ones you listed are pretty docile in regards to Africans. I haven't had issues keeping Plecos with any cichlids for that matter, but it is different with everyone.

I have had a pleco in with my africans for a while. The only issue i have had is my red zebra picking at the plecos' fins.

yes the only problems ive had are with....... RED DEVILS!!!!!!!!! duh duh duuhhhhhhh......... *insert manicle laugh here* and beleave it or not.... a very very unlikely species.... jewel cichlids..... yes.....jewels... IDK why... but i had one that just hated pleco's.... odd

Thank's for all the reply's :D

Look's like i might just go with a specie's only tank of Saulosi,Found a local breeder selling baby's pretty cheap and he will exchange them if i get to many male's or female's which ever the case will be,Now i just have to find home's for my other fish,I have my Gourami's and my Bala already going but i can't find anyone to take my Platie's :x

Fish Kid said:
why species only??? just curious

The Saulosi are just easier to do right now on my budget,Only have a small amount to work with so i'm kinda short on option's,Later on when money permit's i can alway's get a couple of other kind's.

Back
Top Bottom