meegosh's 75G Geophagus Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well the guy on MFK shipped them Saturday morning USPS Priority with an expected delivery date of Monday. Needless to say, I didn't get them until yesterday after noon. All were floating upside down when the wifey opened them up to drip acclimate.

The guy is making good though, even though it was no fault of his own! He is offering to ship 6 more for just shipping costs. I'm going to spend the $30 and get them FedEx 2day'd to my work.

meegosh said:
Well the guy on MFK shipped them Saturday morning USPS Priority with an expected delivery date of Monday. Needless to say, I didn't get them until yesterday after noon. All were floating upside down when the wifey opened them up to drip acclimate.

The guy is making good though, even though it was no fault of his own! He is offering to ship 6 more for just shipping costs. I'm going to spend the $30 and get them FedEx 2day'd to my work.

Good idea. I have all mine sent to my work. I figure someone will always be there.

I felt guilty taking 6 of the OH's for free. I sent him $50 a little bit ago via paypal. The Fedex 2Day A.M. delivery fee was $33 and some change. I sent him $50 because he's a nice guy and made good on something he had no control over.

Shipping them out first thing Monday so I should have them Wednesday by 10:30AM. I'm excited to see these guys! The DOA's were huge! A lot bigger than the 2.5" he said he was sending.

Now it is time to decide on what plants I want to get. I'm trying to stick with hardy plants that can withstand being uprooted by the geos.

Well I had some bad luck last night. I've had the magnum 350 running for a while on my 75g. Last night I came home from work after a 12 hour day and heard a weird noise coming from under the tank. I quickly realized it was the magnum 350. I don't know what happened but it sprung a leak. Dumped probably 10g of water on my floor and was running dry.

I removed it from the tank and tried troubleshooting it in the garage. The seal around the top was the culprit. No matter what I did (new o rings, etc) it would spray water out of the top on both sides. Needless to say, I threw the whole thing away.

I just ordered a Fluval 406 on Amazon for $167.16 and I'll have it tomorrow. Planning on packing it with the media from the Magnum 350 for a while and see what happens.

The orange heads are on their way to me now. They shipped early this morning with an expected delivery date of Wednesday. Hopefully they make the trip this time around.

I'm trying to keep the bottom of the stand open for a grow out tank or two. Also, I'm on fence about going high tech planted again with this one. Sumps and CO2 don't work.

Some better news... Got my Fluval 406 yesterday. That thing is a beast compared to my Magnum 350. I can't believe how quiet and well built it is. Setup was a breeze, took me maybe 30 minutes to get it up and running. It took longer to rinse all the media out and set up the media baskets than it did to cut the hoses and install it.

The new manual primer button thing is a really nice feature. No more burping the canister or messing around with anything. Pull it up and down real quick a couple times and the canister fills up, plug it in, and you're off to the races.

Some more good news.. the 6 orange heads are out for delivery right now. They are on the truck and will be delivered here at work by 10:30AM. I'm taking a half day so I'll be able to get them home and acclimate them right away.

Finally got the six Geophagus tapajos! They were from a batch that was born two weeks before the last batch he sent me. They are a bit smaller but are growing quick from what he said. They are just getting their blue fins and some blue sheen on their sides.

They are doing quite well with the other inhabitants. They don't bother the cories or the diamond tetras. They completely leave my angelfish alone also. I'm hoping I can keep the angel for a little longer. The wifey is quite attached to the angel now.

The male krib did have a standoff with one but quickly submitted to the geos. Haven't seen any chasing or nipping so far.

Pics:
12085-albums8701-picture33218.jpg

12085-albums8701-picture33219.jpg

12085-albums8701-picture33220.jpg

Inline heater will be going in tonight so I can remove the temporary heaters. I'm absolutely loving the Fluval 406.

Yeah, I discussed that earlier in this thread. Once they grow out a bit I'm going to do some rehoming. Angel and kribs will probably have to go. Like I said, the wifey is quite attached to our angelfish so I'm going to use that to my advantage and convince her we need to set up another tank upstairs. :)

Thanks Nick. Things are starting to take shape. They are used to their new home now and are starting to settle down. I believe they are a bit confused right now though as they are schooling with the Diamond Tetras. I caught them in a video last night doing it. It's towards the end of the video you'll see them going back and forth with the Diamonds.

Well I had one of the geos die on me sometime yesterday in the QT. It was the smallest of both batches. It was the one that was upside down for a little during acclimation too. I knew it wouldn't make it, no visible signs of illness that I could tell. Stopped eating a few days ago as well.

The others are doing fantastic though and I don't expect any more deaths. You can just tell by the way they eat that they're going to grow up to be monsters. They literally eat like pigs, swimming all over one another to get a bite. They really love the pellets and gobble them up quickly.

Glad to see that you got those guys again! Those should be pretty cool as they grow up. Always looking for an excuse for another tank aren't we?!

Sucks one didn't make it but glad to hear the rest are doing well, I had the same issue with my first group of frontosa, one died the rest were like tanks.

Figured I would give an update since it's been a few days. Everything is going good in the tank. No more deaths, no nipping, no fighting, all is good! All I can say is these geos are like mini bulldozers. They can dig a 5" diameter crater in the sand in a few minutes.

I didn't realize that they sleep on the bottom of the tank until yesterday morning. I was on my way to work (5:45am) and I was running a little late when I saw something out of the corner of my eye. It looked like my filter output was aimed down or something and made a big pit in the front of the tank. I checked the output and it was still secured to the side and not aimed downwards. I looked around in the tank and saw all 5 of the geos sleeping in their own 5" circle pits they dug. Two were scattered in the back and the other three were lined up across the front of the tank.

I tried snapping some pictures but it was too hard without turning the lights on. I'll try to get a picture with a flashlight and a red filter sometime.

That is cool - your own private little aquascaping crew LOL. Looking forward to a picture if you get one.

No major updates. Everyone is still doing fine. Eating like pigs and rescaping the tank for me daily. They've dug a huge pit, probably 9"x3" across the front of the tank, clear down to the egg crate. Not sure why but they sure did move a lot of sand.

I tried snapping a couple of pictures of them sleeping in their pits but couldn't get any to come out clear. The best one I could get was:

TTWBX.jpg

It's hard to see because I couldn't use a flash. The fish is tucked behind the rock, back end sticking out a bit. There is probably a 4x3" pit he's sitting in.

I'll try to get some early morning pictures when the lights first go on before they have time to level their beds. The biggest of the group is about to hit the 4" mark from the looks of it. I'll try to get a shot with a tape measure in it to be sure.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom