Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-05-2011, 10:12 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

meegosh's 75G Geophagus Tank

I recently picked up a 75g tank off of craigslist. It came with a Magnum 350 canister filter, plenty of rocks, decor, heaters, etc. I was planning on using it as a discus tank but opted to go with cichlids instead.

I have done quite a bit of research but it seems every website gives different recommendations as far as compatibility is concerned. I wanted to see what you guys think of this stock list.

3x Aulonocara Baenschi Benga (New Regal Sunshine)
3x Aulonocara German Red
3x Labidochromis Caeruleus (Yellow Lab)
3x Aulonocara Koningsi Blue Regal
3x Aulonocara Lwanda
3x Aulonocara Rubescens (Ruby Red)

All of them are being sold at 1.5-2.0" Sex Uncertain. I realize that you either want all males or 1m/4f. I am willing to switch things up once I can sex them. I will be buying these in two different orders, about 10 fish each order.

Edit: I'll get some pictures up of what all I got for $95! Quite the steal, IMO.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

To get the best out of an all male tank, all males need to be different enough colour that they don't cause a similar looking male to colour down. A dominant rubescens may cause a german red to have subdued colour.

If you are going the 1:4 path, this is worth reading. Mixing Peacocks - Aulonocara species

Old 11-06-2011, 07:08 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Interesting. Looks like I'm back to the drawing board as far as stocking goes. The problem I'm running into is the LFS only sell them in tanks of Assorted Cichlids. That being the case, I've been looking to order the stock online. The site I've been looking at ordering through is cichlidsarespecial.com. Seems like the guy cares about his stock and he is located a few hours away.

Thanks for the link!
Old 11-06-2011, 07:16 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah. Agreeing with the precious post, for an all male tank you only want to do 1 male of each species, all of which should look different so they don't confuse it for being the same. Lol. However, if you go all males, you can mix Haps and mbuna.

This website offers tons of ideas: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/

Lots of good info and a great way to get ideas flowing!
Old 11-06-2011, 01:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Thanks all for the replies. I went back and started my stock list over again. Let me know what you think of it this time around. All males, 1 of each species. Tried varying the colors as much as I could. The ones I'm not sure about are marked with an asterisk.

Aulonocara Baenschi Benga (New Regal Sunshine)
Aulonocara Rubescens (Ruby Red)
Aulonocara Jacobfreibergi Otter Point (Malawi Butterfly)
Aulonocara Stuartgranti Maleri Sunshine *
Aulonocara Sp. Yellow Head Nkhata *
Copadichromis Trewavasae Mloto Likoma Ivory Head
Otoparynx Litobates Red Top (Aristochromis Red Top)
Placidochromis Electra (Deep Water Hap)
Astatotilapia Latifasciata (Zebra Obliquidens)

All of them are available at 1.5-3". Most are at 2" right now. I already have the canister filter running on my 30g to get it seeded.

I have to finish building my shed and then it's all about the bar/fish tank. Things should progress nicely from here, I hope!
Old 11-07-2011, 05:38 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Benga and Maleri are both yellow and both might not get bright yellow.

However, your selection seems suitable overall and it should be a good mix.

Can't wait to see pics!!
Old 11-07-2011, 06:44 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Thanks for the tip. I have a buddy who is going to be setting up a 75g right after me with cichlids so I'm going to be able to remove any trouble makers right from the start. He's all about free fish!

Shed will be done this weekend and then it's all about the stand and tank.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:29 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Nice, looking forward to following the build. Your threads are always so detailed. Incidently, why the decision to go African?

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:56 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wy Renegade View Post
Incidently, why the decision to go African?
My main goal is to have an in-wall tank that goes directly behind the bar in my basement. I want it to catch everyone's attention as soon as they enter the room. I was thinking about going with discus but after a lot of research I decided against them for a couple reasons. The main thing was the time/effort needed to grow out the discus (I was going to buy them at 2.5" from Kenny).

I work twelve 12 hour days in a row and get every other weekend off. That leaves me with no time during the week to do water changes and feedings. That basically ruled discus out right then and there. At least for now, anyway.

I still wanted a colorful and active tank that would instantly grab anyone's attention. I've always been fascinated by cichlids and the way they interact with each other so that led me down the road I'm on. After looking at all the different species I decided I would try an all male (mostly) hap tank.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:27 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by meegosh View Post
My main goal is to have an in-wall tank that goes directly behind the bar in my basement. I want it to catch everyone's attention as soon as they enter the room. I was thinking about going with discus but after a lot of research I decided against them for a couple reasons. The main thing was the time/effort needed to grow out the discus (I was going to buy them at 2.5" from Kenny).

I still wanted a colorful and active tank that would instantly grab anyone's attention. I've always been fascinated by cichlids and the way they interact with each other so that led me down the road I'm on. After looking at all the different species I decided I would try an all male (mostly) hap tank.
Indeed that should do it. Look forward to seeing this one come together. Are you going to try plants at all in this one?

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
75g, cichlids, malawi, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com