meegosh's 75G Geophagus Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meegosh

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently picked up a 75g tank off of craigslist. It came with a Magnum 350 canister filter, plenty of rocks, decor, heaters, etc. I was planning on using it as a discus tank but opted to go with cichlids instead.

I have done quite a bit of research but it seems every website gives different recommendations as far as compatibility is concerned. I wanted to see what you guys think of this stock list.

3x Aulonocara Baenschi Benga (New Regal Sunshine)
3x Aulonocara German Red
3x Labidochromis Caeruleus (Yellow Lab)
3x Aulonocara Koningsi Blue Regal
3x Aulonocara Lwanda
3x Aulonocara Rubescens (Ruby Red)

All of them are being sold at 1.5-2.0" Sex Uncertain. I realize that you either want all males or 1m/4f. I am willing to switch things up once I can sex them. I will be buying these in two different orders, about 10 fish each order.

Edit: I'll get some pictures up of what all I got for $95! ;) Quite the steal, IMO.

To get the best out of an all male tank, all males need to be different enough colour that they don't cause a similar looking male to colour down. A dominant rubescens may cause a german red to have subdued colour.

If you are going the 1:4 path, this is worth reading. Mixing Peacocks - Aulonocara species

Interesting. Looks like I'm back to the drawing board as far as stocking goes. The problem I'm running into is the LFS only sell them in tanks of Assorted Cichlids. That being the case, I've been looking to order the stock online. The site I've been looking at ordering through is cichlidsarespecial.com. Seems like the guy cares about his stock and he is located a few hours away.

Thanks for the link!

Yeah. Agreeing with the precious post, for an all male tank you only want to do 1 male of each species, all of which should look different so they don't confuse it for being the same. Lol. However, if you go all males, you can mix Haps and mbuna.

This website offers tons of ideas: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/

Lots of good info and a great way to get ideas flowing!

Thanks all for the replies. I went back and started my stock list over again. Let me know what you think of it this time around. All males, 1 of each species. Tried varying the colors as much as I could. The ones I'm not sure about are marked with an asterisk.

Aulonocara Baenschi Benga (New Regal Sunshine)
Aulonocara Rubescens (Ruby Red)
Aulonocara Jacobfreibergi Otter Point (Malawi Butterfly)
Aulonocara Stuartgranti Maleri Sunshine *
Aulonocara Sp. Yellow Head Nkhata *
Copadichromis Trewavasae Mloto Likoma Ivory Head
Otoparynx Litobates Red Top (Aristochromis Red Top)
Placidochromis Electra (Deep Water Hap)
Astatotilapia Latifasciata (Zebra Obliquidens)

All of them are available at 1.5-3". Most are at 2" right now. I already have the canister filter running on my 30g to get it seeded.

I have to finish building my shed and then it's all about the bar/fish tank. Things should progress nicely from here, I hope! :)

Benga and Maleri are both yellow and both might not get bright yellow.

However, your selection seems suitable overall and it should be a good mix.

Can't wait to see pics!!

Thanks for the tip. I have a buddy who is going to be setting up a 75g right after me with cichlids so I'm going to be able to remove any trouble makers right from the start. He's all about free fish! :)

Shed will be done this weekend and then it's all about the stand and tank.

Nice, looking forward to following the build. Your threads are always so detailed. Incidently, why the decision to go African?

Incidently, why the decision to go African?

My main goal is to have an in-wall tank that goes directly behind the bar in my basement. I want it to catch everyone's attention as soon as they enter the room. I was thinking about going with discus but after a lot of research I decided against them for a couple reasons. The main thing was the time/effort needed to grow out the discus (I was going to buy them at 2.5" from Kenny).

I work twelve 12 hour days in a row and get every other weekend off. That leaves me with no time during the week to do water changes and feedings. That basically ruled discus out right then and there. At least for now, anyway.

I still wanted a colorful and active tank that would instantly grab anyone's attention. I've always been fascinated by cichlids and the way they interact with each other so that led me down the road I'm on. After looking at all the different species I decided I would try an all male (mostly) hap tank.

My main goal is to have an in-wall tank that goes directly behind the bar in my basement. I want it to catch everyone's attention as soon as they enter the room. I was thinking about going with discus but after a lot of research I decided against them for a couple reasons. The main thing was the time/effort needed to grow out the discus (I was going to buy them at 2.5" from Kenny).

I still wanted a colorful and active tank that would instantly grab anyone's attention. I've always been fascinated by cichlids and the way they interact with each other so that led me down the road I'm on. After looking at all the different species I decided I would try an all male (mostly) hap tank.

Indeed that should do it. Look forward to seeing this one come together. Are you going to try plants at all in this one?

Are you going to try plants at all in this one?

I'm really torn on that one. I think for the beginning I'm just going to stick to rocks and fish. Kind of the KISS approach, you know?

I have a feeling I'll experiment with it later down the road though. After all.. I will have to tear down my 30g long, which has been my baby for a while now. Rehoming all my fish except for maybe the clown loach is not going to be fun either but it is for the best! :)

Well I've changed my mind, again. I'm going to hold off on peacocks and haps until I get a bigger tank set up (maybe the 220 in storage?). We'll see.

Right now I am looking at doing a Mbuna tank. I don't want to do a typical tank with labs and the random assorted africans. I'm still messing with the numbers but I think I'm going with the following.

3x Pseudotropheus Sp. Acei Yellow Tail (Purple Acei) 2" unsexed juvies
6x Metriclima Sp. Dolphin Ndonga (Large Demasoni) 1.5" unsexed juvies
3x Pseudotropheus Daktari, Yellow Acei*- 3" proven trio

I will be adding more yellow tail's as they come into stock and I will try to get some more daktari females after a little while.

I'm torn on the large demasoni though, I think I should drop their numbers some, maybe 4-5? They are unsexed right now but the guy said he would try to give me a good mix of males and females based on their current coloring. Luckily it seems like daktari females are easy to ID by their cream/pale color, where as the males are bright yellow.

The yellow tailed acei seem to be pretty mellow and I will up there numbers to 6 or so once more become available.

Any thoughts? Got my bar done, now I just need to build the stand. This tank won't be going in a wall, there simply wasn't enough room behind the bar to make it work. I will have an in wall tank at some point but I'm thinking it will be the 220g upstairs.

With the two different types of Acei in the same system, will they interbreed? I know the Acei that I used to get where a pretty large fish, but pretty mellow, how will they hold out with the Ndonga? Don't know much about the Ndonga as I've only ever seen one or two in LFS tanks, but they get pretty big and are pretty aggressive if memory serves.

I was a bit concerned about the Acei interbreeding but after posting on some cichlid forums I found out that the Daktari have actually been reclassified as Metriaclima, not Pseudotropheus. They should not crossbreed in the tank.

However, the reclassification now poses a risk to the Ndonga, also being a Metriaclima sp., but should be different enough in color they will stick to their own. Only time will tell I suppose.

The batch of Ndonga I'm getting is fairly mellow, at least I've been told. Everything I read about them says they are more mellow than everyone thinks. The breeder I'm getting them from recommended introducing the trio of yellow acei and purple acei at the same time. Then wait a week or so and add the Ndonga.

IMO that tank is to small for all those Acei, they really do better in a 6' tank do to their activity level. I would only go for one type of Acei per tank and they will interbreed.

For a 75 I would would go with two-three types fish that are on opposite colors that would create a great color contrast.

Something like:
-Labidochromis caeruleus "White Lab''
-Pseudotropheus flavus Chinyankwazi
-Tropheops sp. ''Chilumba''

You'd have white, yellow/black and a blue and red. All with different patterns and body shapes.

Seems to be a lot of differing opinions on the Acei. The breeder suggested them for my 4' tank. He said he has the proven trio of Daktari in with the purple Acei and they do not crossbreed.

I like your suggestions, other than the white labs. I really don't like white/albino fish. How about Williamsi - more of an orange color. The flavus and Chilumba aren't bad looking though if I can source them.

meegosh said:
Seems to be a lot of differing opinions on the Acei. The breeder suggested them for my 4' tank. He said he has the proven trio of Daktari in with the purple Acei and they do not crossbreed.

I like your suggestions, other than the white labs. I really don't like white/albino fish. How about Williamsi - more of an orange color. The flavus and Chilumba aren't bad looking though if I can source them.

Williamsi are beautiful fish, or maybe Rustys. all those fish should be available from www.davesfish.com or on Aquabid of you want to buy online.

Have you ordered from Dave? How is his shipping costs? I hear anywhere from $35+.

What would you recommend for quantities of everything? Dave's has the rusty's but not the Williamsi. Either would look good I think. I'm thinking 6 of the Rusty's and Chilumba's. Maybe 4 of the Flavus and weed out the sub dominates?

meegosh said:
Have you ordered from Dave? How is his shipping costs? I hear anywhere from $35+.

What would you recommend for quantities of everything? Dave's has the rusty's but not the Williamsi. Either would look good I think. I'm thinking 6 of the Rusty's and Chilumba's. Maybe 4 of the Flavus and weed out the sub dominates?

His shipping is pretty reasonable IMO. Are you thinking all male tank? You can fit 15 or so fish in there. Instead of the Williamsi what about Metriaclima aurora?

I think an all male would be too difficult. I am content with swapping fish out as needed. I got a LFS that accepts trades from me so there should not be an issue there. Since all the fish will be juvies I am thinking order more than I will want to keep in the long run, let them grow out and weed out the sub dominate males. Try to get the ratios back to normal after I can sex the fish.

Back
Top Bottom