Melanochromis auratus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
not to put a damper on your auratus party, but female auratus will so change to male coloring if they are the dominant auratus in the tank. i have a 5 inch female who is now in full male coloring because her mate died during a mistake with a water change. the male auratus that i have left is smaller and weaker than her so she has assumed the dominant role. im afraid the only way to know if it is indeed male is to vent it or wait to see if they ever spawn.

Yes, I have read that females can change as well if they are the dominant one in the tank or it lacking a male. I'm also fully prepared for any havoc they might cause. I read up on them way before I bought them.

Melanchromis is a naturally aggressive species. All of them. Don't think otherwise.

If that was aimed at me, like I stated earlier, I'm fully prepared if they become too aggressive for my others. I have many years experience with SA/NW cichlids, which can also be down right nasty little beasties.

Back
Top Bottom