Mellow yellow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

derail

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently acquired a pair of electric yellow cichlids, juveniles (3" at best) and one of then is concerning me. Parameters: ph-8.2, nitrate-5, nitrite-0, ammonia-0. (might have mixed up names there...). 30g tank with driftwood (fake) and rocks. Pic inserted.

While both yellows are shy, as I've learned is normal, it seems like one of them has become really reclusive. It hides in the rocks and doesn't seen to come out during feeding now. He had am appetite the first two days (only had for three days) and now is getting me concerned. Is it possible that they're still not used to their new home yet? I've looked at him and he doesn't seen to be gasping for air or having trouble swimming.

Please tell me I'm just being paranoid!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120122_205810.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120122_205810.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 91
Checked out malawi bloat already, none of the symptoms showing. Currently feed cobalt tropical flakes.

"He" is not a holding female is he? Lol. I have a yellow lab that is currently holding, she's only 2.5 inches long. When mine are holding I see the same type of behavior. Just a suggestion!

"He" is not a holding female is he? Lol. I have a yellow lab that is currently holding, she's only 2.5 inches long. When mine are holding I see the same type of behavior. Just a suggestion!

I haven't been able to vent this particular fish to tell (I tried while they were acclimating in the bag), but if the color of the pelvic fins are any indicator, this one has the normal whitish colored pectoral and pelvic fins and the other one has darker and black lined pelvic fins.

derail said:
I haven't been able to vent this particular fish to tell (I tried while they were acclimating in the bag), but if the color of the pelvic fins are any indicator, this one has the normal whitish colored pectoral and pelvic fins and the other one has darker and black lined pelvic fins.

If it is a she and she's holding you will be able to tell by looking at her mouth, it will be full if eggs/fry...here are a couple photos of mine holding:

ForumRunner_20120123_092239.jpg

ForumRunner_20120123_092300.jpg

derail said:
Quite literally, another electric yellow. I've been thinking about adding some dither fish, maybe some zebra danios, if appropriate.

Dither fish really only work with larger SA/CA cichlids. Just add more Labs.

Great. Got a book about cichlids in the mail today. Between that, other reading material and you guys, I think I'll be fine

derail said:
Great. Got a book about cichlids in the mail today. Between that, other reading material and you guys, I think I'll be fine

I would take anything you read in a book with a huge grain of salt, unless its a book by Ed Konings his books are pretty spot on.

Pricey but worth every single penny. I got mine for $50 used from amazon but it's my bible. I had gotten some cheap ones when I first started in the hobby but I think if I add them all together they maybe are half the information of Konings.

So, an update. The two yellows I have are getting used to me, to the point they don't run and hide when I approach. They still dart back to their havens, but then tentatively come back out and eat heartily now. Glad it was paranoia I was experiencing lol

Back
Top Bottom