Methylene Blue / infusoria fry tank ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikeaq

Aquarium Advice Activist
My ram eggs hatched yesterday & they're currently in a 10 gal grow tank that was dosed with methylene blue. The more I read the more I learn that infusoria is a crucial source of food for the ram fry.

I have vinegar eels, ocean nutrition baby brine, and first bites all on hand for when they become free swimming in a few days, but I want to put so old java moss balls i have in the fry tank as food insurance.

My question is, the fry will be free swimming by Saturday, when can I start doing water changes?

Should I start now?

Methylene blue will kill the java moss right?

If I only do a 10% water change today, tomorrow, and Saturday that would leave 70% of the methylene blue still in the tank. I'm confused ! Does anyone have any advice from personal experience?

Methelyene blue will kill java moss for sure. Throw a bag of carbon in and start small water changes now. Forgot to tell you about the carbon. I'd do like half gallon or a gallon at a time.

Methelyene blue will kill java moss for sure. Throw a bag of carbon in and start small water changes now. Forgot to tell you about the carbon. I'd do like half gallon or a gallon at a time.

Just lay the bag of carbon on the tank floor?
I have a sponge filter in there.

Also I found a really good source yesterday while looking on the internet. the guy said to fill the 10 gallon halfway so the fry are closer to their food. I think it's a good idea but my sponge filter is too tall. So I'm thinking of dropping the water level to 75% full and doing a 1 gallon water change.

What are your thoughts?

The sponge filter is like the whole height of the tank could I maybe cut the plastic down almost all the way and drop the water level to right above it?

Attachments

• image-3583768446.jpg
    image-3583768446.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 100
Just lay the bag of carbon on the tank floor? I have a sponge filter in there. Also I found a really good source yesterday while looking on the internet. the guy said to fill the 10 gallon halfway so the fry are closer to their food. I think it's a good idea but my sponge filter is too tall. So I'm thinking of dropping the water level to 75% full and doing a 1 gallon water change. What are your thoughts?

Yea the carbon will help take out the methelyene blue. That would work. I cut my sponge filters so they aren't so tall.

image-3313394168.jpg

Try using a cheap filter like this and adding some activated carbon to it. I use this one in my QT. If you have a strong enough air pump you can run both filters simultaneously.

I just put a bag of carbon in a breeder net in the tank to get the methylene blue out.

Took out 4 gallons of water & put one gallon of new water treated with prime back in. made sure it matched temp wise and ph wise.

Also used a dropper to suck out debris, it was pretty hard to distinguish the fry from the garbage.

I'll keep updating this post.

This morning the water is still blue, so I took the chemi pure from my other tank and threw it in here too.

Will the water remain blue even after the methylene blue is removed???

Attachments

• image-2456718115.jpg
    image-2456718115.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 152
Back
Top Bottom