Midas with reddish/pink gills

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JRT83

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I was stressing my fish out yesterday because I returned my umbee to the LFS so I had to take alot of the decorations out and chase the umbee around til I caught him. I woke up this morning and noticed my Midas' gill plates are a lightish red/pink color (1 side way more noticeable than the other) and he's had white stringy poop. Called a few LFS in the area and 1 guy said it could be from dashing around the tank and injured himself and someone else said an ammonia spike from disturbing the gravel and kicking up any excess food/debris. Any ideas as to what could be wrong and what would be the best treatment? He's about 3-3 1/2" long right now, everyone else looks and is acting normal. just did a 40 gal water change and dosed lightly with aquarium salt for the 1st time ever. Could try and get a pic if that would be helpful

125 gallon tank w/ 2 biowheel 350's and 1 Aquaclear 110 (up/running for a little less than 2 yrs)
2 30 gal water changes a week
78-80 degrees
Feed new life spectrum pellets daily with a treat of shrimp or krill once a week

6" jaguar
4" salvini
3" midas
2" festae
4" featherfin catfish

Water always is in good shape
Ammonia: between 0-.25 ppm
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10ppm
ph: 8.2

Sorry for the poor picture quality, any help/opinions would be greatly appreciated

image-2576848811.jpg

image-3838335036.jpg

Sorry to say this but that stock list is doomed.The fish will kill each other with probably only the Jag or Midas left.Red colouration around the gills suggests Ammonia poisoning.How is your water Oxygenated?

garfy said:
Sorry to say this but that stock list is doomed.The fish will kill each other with probably only the Jag or Midas left.Red colouration around the gills suggests Ammonia poisoning.How is your water Oxygenated?

Not planning on keeping them all together long term, just while they're growing out. But the 3 hob filters' splash provide the oxygen at the surface, would u recommend adding a powerhead for the bottom half of the tank? I also just realized that the Midas and Salvini (most territorial fish in the tank) have been flaring their gills at each other quite a bit recently everytime the Salvini sees the Midas near it's cave, havent seen them actually lip lock yet though. Could that be causing the outside of the midas' gills to turn red?

Sounds like you have enough Oxygen going into the water.If anything I'd add an External Canister filter for Biological Filtration.Flaring gills at each other wouldn't cause the redness.What test kit are you using?

garfy said:
Sounds like you have enough Oxygen going into the water.If anything I'd add an External Canister filter for Biological Filtration.Flaring gills at each other wouldn't cause the redness.What test kit are you using?

API... Everyone is eating and active so I'm not too sure what's causing it

Anyone else have any ideas what the problem could be? Removed a fish from the tank Saturday afternoon and everything was fine, woke up sunday morning and his gills were a light red/pink color. Did a 40 gal water change Sunday afternoon and about to do another 30 gal Wednesday. Hasn't gotten any worse but hasn't improved at all either... Haven't noticed any signs or symptoms (besides the redness) to give me any clues as to whats wrong with him either. He's active, eating just fine, and harassing the festae like usual... Should I treat the tank with anything or leave it???

Back
Top Bottom