Minimum size for a Cichlid tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Basefrog

Aquarium Advice Freak
-FOR AFRICAN CICHLIDS-

Hey guys!

I was just wondering what is the minimum size aquarium you can have for Cichlids? And what type of Cichlids would you recommend?

Thanks!
:fish2:

P.S. The aquarium i was thinking of is 30g

Basefrog said:
Hey guys!

I was just wondering what is the minimum size aquarium you can have for Cichlids? And what type of Cichlids would you recommend?

Thanks!
:fish2:

P.S. The aquarium i was thinking of is 30g

It would depend on the kind. Shellies are good in 10g tanks, GBRs are good in 20g, oscars 75g, angelfish 29g, Africans... Well that would depend on the kind. Most suggest getting a tank over 55g.

It would depend on the kind. Shellies are good in 10g tanks, GBRs are good in 20g, oscars 75g, angelfish 29g, Africans... Well that would depend on the kind. Most suggest getting a tank over 55g.

Tanganyikan shell dwellers are African cichlids.

I wouldn't recommend any Malawi cichlids in a 30 gallon, but you could keep a really cool shell dweller tank. Most aren't colorful like the Malawis, but what they lack in color they make up in interesting behavior. Lamprologus ocellatus is a colorful one.

African cichlids are a diverse group of fish. Shellie can be housed in tanks as small as 10gal....frontosa's can atttain and even surpass 12" and require tanks at least 6ft in length.

Both shellies and frontosa's are african cichlids and even originate from the same rift lake.

Back
Top Bottom