Missing pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bmac1972

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all!! Need some advice... I have not seen my Pleco for a couple of days... I have about a hundred lbs of holy rock in my 72 .... My question is do I need to break down my extensive rock wall to look for him or his remains?.. It would be a major move to do this... I looked in every nook I could but see no site of him... He was about 3 inches and is with assorted Africans.... They are all 1 1/2 to 2 inches..... I am worried about my water if I leave a dead fish in... Maybe they ate the remains??? Any input would be appreciated

image-900554019.jpg

I am not sure if the Africans would eat all of the remains, I have never seen them do that or pick at dead fish or even heard of it. Unfortunately, I would say you would need to get in there and look for him. If this means moving rock, again unfortunately, you must do so. If a fish is dead in the tank, it can ruin the water chemistry.

Although pleco's are known to hide out during the day sometimes. Maybe try to leave a cucumber or zucchini in the tank over night if you don't already and turn the lights off, then come back an hour later (or when you can - not saying stay up all night) and see if he is out on the zuchinni/cucumber, would be my only other suggestion.

Thanks for the reply.... I guess I knew the answer lol... Pretty sure he is gone because he was not shy and I have been staking out the tank for last 2 nights... The thing was I was planning on re homing him.... Did not research enough before I got him and did not want a 12 inch poop machine.... I'm going in......... Thanks:)

Good luck and make sure you look at the rocks as you take them out and that he's not sucking on one and u miss him. Done that!

Found the Pleco alive!!! Took all rock out which sucked!!! Happy he was alive and brought him to lfs.... Would still like to have some sort of algae eater... Does anyone have any suggestions for something that will not grow so big...... Saw an albino bristle nose..... Would that work.... Thanks!!!

Found the Pleco alive!!! Took all rock out which sucked!!! Happy he was alive and brought him to lfs.... Would still like to have some sort of algae eater... Does anyone have any suggestions for something that will not grow so big...... Saw an albino bristle nose..... Would that work.... Thanks!!!

That's great and I have a bristle nose in my 72 and my cichlids don't bother it

Back
Top Bottom