Mixing cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bg-mike

Aquarium Advice Regular
Will I'm new at this started with a goldfish and a five gallon tank now I have a five a ten and a 55g tank IM trying to mix different cichlids I have a jewel,a Jack dempsey,a yellow one with a black stripe forgot the name also a little all yellow one.one fiermouth and two green terrors.had more but only the strong survive in this tank just got my Jack Dempsey and my jewel just wont stop fighting and she is smaller font no y but she almost turns red win he comes out his hole still wont to add more if anyone nose were to get some thay have to at least be:thanks: 2''really wont some color..

i would advise you to go with africans, or sa cichlids not both. umm i think ur tank is a bit over stocked, and the fish in the tank will prob not get along bcuz they are from different regions, and they have different water requirments, and food requirements. i tried the same thing with my first tank, and i had to rehome the sa cichlids.

You got a lot going on in there. I believe the two green terrors alone would be tough in a 55g. Got any pics of the unknowns?

Take it from me... I've my share of issues. There is WAY too much going on in that 55g. I see re homing in your future.

Convict2161 said:
Take it from me... I've my share of issues. There is WAY too much going on in that 55g. I see re homing in your future.

Agreed. Jack Dempsey and 2 green terrors alone make this tank overstocked. They may be smaller now, but they won't stay that way! And as said earlier, try and stay with either African or S.American cichlids. If you want more fish in a 55, go with only African cichlids.

Thanks for the in sight I'm really thinking about re homing woke up and my lip green terror has no tail fin.lol what is my jewel sa African or African.

Bg-mike said:
Thanks for the in sight I'm really thinking about re homing woke up and my lip green terror has no tail fin.lol what is my jewel sa African or African.

The jewel is an African cichlid but not in the same class as cichlids from the lakes

Yes you really need to do some rehoming, and research. Sounds like you want more fish in the tank so I would very very quickly re home the Terrors Jack dempseys, and keep the jewels. If you do this you could add a few silver dollars or barbs and a couple more jewels or something along those lines, but as it is your gonna lose some fish. Good luck

If you are going keep the Jewel restock with Jewels and other high aggressive fish like some Species of Trophs or auratus cichlid. I found with Jewel they don't get along with many other peaceful Lake Cichlids. I re homed my Jewel when I went to Labs, Red Zebra and a Peacock.

Tropheus are obligate herbivores. Too much protein in their diets, and they will bloat and die. They really would not be a good match for the carnivorous jewel cichlids. At any rate they are only aggressive toward conspecifics and really need to be kept in large groups. A 55 gallon is not enough space for just a group of tropheus, even.

OK took Jack dempsey back need to find a good home for my green terror he is 1'' but meen any takers

Bg-mike said:
OK took Jack dempsey back need to find a good home for my green terror he is 1'' but meen any takers
By the way thanks 4 the advice i love this app

Back
Top Bottom