Mixing cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SamanthaJayne

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just wanting peoples opinions on mixing African & American cichlids?
I've read a few different articles with different views.

Sent from my ME371MG using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Really bad idea. But I believe there are 1 or 2 exceptions but I don't agree with it.

Doesnt always work. If it does youre lucky. In one of my favorite aqua shops that are very experienced, they managed to mix africans and americans succesfully. Not recommended though, ends up in a carnage and they have different needs.

55 Gallon- Empty
125 Gallon- CKF and Tiger Oscar
220 Gallon- To come...

It really depends which africans and americans you are referring to. In general, It will fail a lot more often than it will work. Since it is common for these things to work in the short-term but not the long-term be careful to ask anyone who claims it is working how long the fish have been together.

That being said, since we are talking about several thousand species of cichlids between Africa and the Americas you would need to be a little more specific.

Bad idea. They will eliminate eachother the point of a aquarium is to resemble nature in a box when you do that your confusing the fish because in nature they dont see eachother in the same places and its also in their inticnt to hurt them since they have no idea who they are

- I love Mbuna and SA cichlids

I have an mbuna/hap/peackock/central American tank and they all do fine. Anyone can say anythi nf they want about these fish but I always keep an eye on the new guy when mixing and I have a few different tanks with a variety in each. Some can mix others can't try and keep mbunas smaller than the other fish when adding is my best advice. You can mix I have proof that they can and will survive okay together

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It really depends which africans and americans you are referring to. In general, It will fail a lot more often than it will work. Since it is common for these things to work in the short-term but not the long-term be careful to ask anyone who claims it is working how long the fish have been together.

That being said, since we are talking about several thousand species of cichlids between Africa and the Americas you would need to be a little more specific.

This highlighted part answers the question perfectly.

If you do insist on trying, you need to find an African who is versatile, who grows to be the same size as the Americans (or even slightly bigger), and has an aggressive temperament so he can stick up for himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom