Mixing Cichlids and Petricolas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StevesPrettyCool

Aquarium Advice Activist
hey everyone, i have 7 small sized synodontis petricola catfish I purchased after reading they can hold their own quite well against even the more aggressive cichlids. They are very small measuring from 3/4" to 1 1/2". I was wondering how big they should be before I go out and get my cichlids.

I'm planning on getting mbunas, deciding on a mix of zebras, labs, something blue havent decided, maybe some rustys, etc... you catch my drift :p

Also keep in mind that I am planning on getting this fish as small as possible. I'll possibly add a larger group once the cats are big enough, but to start with I am hoping if i get them 1/2" to 3/4", therefore they may grow with the catfish and be less likely to harm them? I don't know if thats how it works tho, I've heard stories going both ways...

Any suggestions would help, thanks all!!

I have a cuckoo catfish which is about 3" long and he`s fine so 3" is definately ok especially as i have a 6" malawi eye biter in the tank lol

haha awesome, yeah the petricolas only get 3 1/2" or so, what do you think about the "adding the cichlids when they are young" theory? I'm sure the cichlids with growe a bit faster than the catfish, but ya think them growing up together would make them less likely to attack?

is that the eye biter in ur profile pic?? thats one badass fish!

hahaha he looks like a beast!

i guess my plan for now is going to be to buy the cichlids at my lfs next thursday because they have buy one get one free fish hahaha. they have every size cichlid, an i'll be picking through the Extra Small Mixed Mbunas. They are around 1/2 inch to 3/4 max. Hopefully they will play nice haha :p if not tho i'll just divide the tank for a while if I need to

How big is the tank? More important than the size of the mbuna is the species. The "mixed Africans" are mass-produced stock from FL fish farms, you really need to ID the species before you buy any to save yourself big problems whan they mature.

The tank is a 55. The mbunas I'm looking to get should be fairly easy to identify like red zebras and stuff, and the yellow labs are separated cuz they charge a little more for them. Ice Blue Greyshakei would be nice. Also they have a really small blue with vertical stripes, that has a yellow stripe along the edge of its top fin, any idea what that can be?

I have 8 1.25 inch synodontis in with Acei that are 3 1/2ish. Been in there several months and no problems yet.

Back
Top Bottom