Mixing Hap genuses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bmarine

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have found a lot of fish from the Protomelas genus that i have really liked and want for a tank sometime. But is it ok to have multiple fish together from the same genus? Hoping to breed them and don't want interbreeding.

Then I wouldn't advise mixing them, ideally each one should have its own tank. Otherwise you have no way to be 100% sure there has not been any hybridization and if that's the case then they shouldn't be sold or given away just culled.

Also not all of the fish you see online or in the books will be readily available in the hobby.

Then I wouldn't advise mixing them, ideally each one should have its own tank. Otherwise you have no way to be 100% sure there has not been any hybridization and if that's the case then they shouldn't be sold or given away just culled.

Also not all of the fish you see online or in the books will be readily available in the hobby.

Yeah I totally understand. I saw two great different copadichromis at my LFS the other day and just wondered if i could get both of those to breed. So not really recommended?? So my only solution is to get another tank? ;)

Yeah I totally understand. I saw two great different copadichromis at my LFS the other day and just wondered if i could get both of those to breed. So not really recommended?? So my only solution is to get another tank? ;)

If you want to breed them, the blood lines to remain pure and sell the fry then yes separate tanks. If you just want a display tank then you can mix them.

If you want to breed them, the blood lines to remain pure and sell the fry then yes separate tanks. If you just want a display tank then you can mix them.

Gotcha. Thanks a ton! I appreciate it! Another quick question. Do you know of any small haps?

Copadichromis trewavasae Likoma " Ivoryhead Mloto" is probably one of my favorite fish in that whole family of fish. They are however pretty rare and will run you $40-50 for males and $20-30 for the females at 3-4".

They would work in a 55 gallon until that 3-4" mark however that's what size these fish are commonly sold at. I would just wait until you have a tank large enough for the Haps and save yourself allot of headache. Trust me I've done it before.

Copadichromis trewavasae Likoma " Ivoryhead Mloto" is probably one of my favorite fish in that whole family of fish. They are however pretty rare and will run you $40-50 for males and $20-30 for the females at 3-4".

They would work in a 55 gallon until that 3-4" mark however that's what size these fish are commonly sold at. I would just wait until you have a tank large enough for the Haps and save yourself allot of headache. Trust me I've done it before.

Gotcha. So should i start with mbuna again? I just got bored of those and wanted something cooler and even more colorful. I have 5 lemon jakes right now.

Gotcha. So should i start with mbuna again? I just got bored of those and wanted something cooler and even more colorful. I have 5 lemon jakes right now.

For me personally I'd say no, I find Mbuna and peacocks boring anymore. I moved on to Central American cichlids and livebearers. You could always try some Thorichtys or Cryptotheros in the 55.

For me personally I'd say no, I find Mbuna and peacocks boring anymore. I moved on to Central American cichlids and livebearers. You could always try some Thorichtys or Cryptotheros in the 55.

Gotcha. Hmm. We'll see what happens i guess. Gotta take a trip to my LFS!

Back
Top Bottom