mixing lakes apparently a bad idea??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LOL its all good KD!! no negative vibes over here :)

i was just back from my halloween party last night & was a weeeee bit tipsy so i was def taking too much offense but thanks for the appology & the compliment

i admitt i pulled a newbie move & started this african tank w/ a half knowledge about them, at the most .. looking back, i def would have went all peacock but w/ all the money i dropped on my affy's (& the attatchment i now have to all of them) i'm gonna try & stick it out & if problems arise i have friends w/ tanks, & a few empties myself, so hopefully all will be gravy

Most people make the same mistakes. As long as you're willing to make it better, it's all gravy.

thanks steez i totally agree :)

& as i've been checkin out people's tanks, i'm noticing tonnnns of tanks mixed like mine

i'm hoping it all works out but if it gets a lil nutty i'll go w/ all peacocks .. i got a feelin i'll be good though

hey Ronnie, for a newby you did an amazing job on your tank. My only advise for you (I've had Africans for a while) is that male African Cichlids LOVE a harem. For every little boy you should have 3 to 4 girls of the same type. You can have a different ratio for a while and things will run great, until they don't. It can and will turn overnight, what were minor battles will now end in death. So try and get as many girls as you can find. They will keep the peace.

thanks wendi!!! i appreciate what you said & the way you said it very much LOL

& yeah i do understand that, as i've had it happen in my oscar tank before.

i cant really be certain if the majority of my fish are male / female.. my venustus & flameback are def male because i ordered them from a site that hooks you up w/ whatever you ask for ..

however, after realizing my kenyi was female i've been TRYING to ID my others, w/ little luck.

i dont really wanna scoop them out & check their vents but unless i can get pics up & ask folks on here, i dont really know how else to sex them.. i think i read once how rounded fins could mean female w affys??

i'd like to find out whos what & rehome / restock whoever i have to.. i have 11 in a 55gal as of now so i dont really wanna just add more & cause crowding

is the vent check my best bet? or should i start snappin pics after work & see if yall can help?

i DEF dont want anyone to get killed, esp when i have so many friends w/ affy tanks that i can eaaaasily rehome

ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED!!!

i cant really be certain if the majority of my fish are male / female.. my venustus & flameback are def male because i ordered them from a site that hooks you up w/ whatever you ask for ..

however, after realizing my kenyi was female i've been TRYING to ID my others, w/ little luck.

i dont really wanna scoop them out & check their vents but unless i can get pics up & ask folks on here, i dont really know how else to sex them.. i think i read once how rounded fins could mean female w affys??

i'd like to find out whos what & rehome / restock whoever i have to.. i have 11 in a 55gal as of now so i dont really wanna just add more & cause crowding

is the vent check my best bet? or should i start snappin pics after work & see if yall can help?

i DEF dont want anyone to get killed, esp when i have so many friends w/ affy tanks that i can eaaaasily rehome

The only 100% accurate way to tell male from female is venting, or wait to see who has the fry and who doesn't.
I still haven't gotten up the courage to vent my fish. My LFS takes any male Mbunas that I don't need. Then I grab a few more juvie and wait to see who turns out to be female. But this only works if your FS is will to exchange fish all the time.
I'm going to have to break down and just learn it already. It just seems so invasive.
If I find a good site about venting, with pictures and easy instructions I'll let you know.
Good luck

thanks again!! i JUST saw a link in a thread w/ perfect examples of male / female vents but i'll have to do some digging after work to find it again.. its def on here though lol

my LFS's in CT are kinda whack.. i have one store that does primarily SW but they have some FW & have let me swap/trade in other fish before.. problem is, they havent had africans in 6 months so i can drop fish off there but get nothing in return.. thats why i give em to my friends instead so if i cant get anything for em, i can still at least see em lol

Back
Top Bottom