Mixing South American?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IMO parrots are a beautiful shade of orange and look like heart shaped dummies of the fish world they are a joy to watch they can't even close their mouths but are still fiesty and back other guys down as if to say this is my rock man mine ! Lol they are like the mentally challenged of the fish world Lol go for it !

And frsakgecko I said they get to be around the same size give or take an inch or two and my sources say a blue acara get up to 8" so....... oh and never said they weren't in the same family but a gt is not a blue acara just to beclear on what I originally meant

cmbtengnr43 said:
You guys are freaking nuts when it comes to uglyness that's a matter of personal opinion if the guy likes them good for him ! I have three with a jack Dempsey and a red jewel in a 75 currently all full grown all just fine and before you chime in about nitrates I do 25% weekly water changes and maintain 20ppm nitrate levels with just a marine land c530...hey man if you want parrots go for it they will do fine with an Oscar hell I was at my LFS today he's got Oscars with red devils in one tank and a freaking flower horn in another now they are 150g tanks but none the less they do great together you'd think they where best buddies ! Its all about when you introduce them together aside from your occasional exception if you introduce them young and same size and they grow up together they will do fine ! And if he's charging 25$ for parrots they should be in the 6" range not juvinilles if so that's way too much for a parrot hell if you pay for shipping and tranqullizer I'll send ya one of my parrots free Cuz that's how confident I am it will be fine in a 75 with an Oscar

Yes, I said they are ugly. That is my personal opinion. Why is that opinion nuts?

You can get bad ideas looking at LFS tank stocks which are temporary and often makeshift based on the stock on hand. That should not be used as a guide.

And why are we talking about blood parrots in the Cichlid section?

U mmmm because blood parrots are cichlids....really your gonna offer advice and you Dont even know that blood parrots are a hybrid between a hero's severum and a red devil both are cichlids ? I Dont mean any disrespect but please read up on that and the tanks at my LFS are not temporary they are his personal display tanks in which the fishes are not for sale they've been there with same tank mates for last year I've been shopping there. There are a lot of "wive tails" and "beliefs" in the cichlid community which are not often factual and can often times be proven in correct all advice I give except on the exceptional occasion is given from personal tried experience. However thank you anyway

And frsakgecko I said they get to be around the same size give or take an inch or two and my sources say a blue acara get up to 8" so....... oh and never said they weren't in the same family but a gt is not a blue acara just to beclear on what I originally meant

I have a wild caught, female aequidens pulcher that begs to differ. At 5", she's nowhere near the size of even a female GT...NOT 8"...

And yes, blood parrots are an abomination that have no place in the hobby. period. They are humans way of playing god by creating a creature that is horribly deformed for our own entertainment because they're "cute"...it's absurd, asinine, and ridiculous.

Quit throwing out the whole "research" card. HUKIT is one of the best New world keepers I've ever had the fortune to meet (even if just through a forum and emailing) and 5x5 is right up there with him. Learn to fight your battles. All three of us know what blood parrots are.

And let's just say that the oscar flips a switch on the BP and fights it. Who do you think will win? A marvelously well-constructed creature of nature, or a deformed hybrid that can't even close its mouth?

Well played HUKIT!

And just a tip, i wouldn't question the knowledge of HUKIT, 5x5, Mogurako, Garfy, or Cbourg. They all know what they're talking about

Ok I must of been day dreaming when my male convict picked my Oscar apart right ? And idc if they have s scientific name or not they are made from two cichlids they act and behave as such so to me they are if you Dont agree with that then respectfully disagree.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay everybody im just gonna go with a tiger oscar that it. Thanks for the advice

Oscs r tank

I would bunch the plants up into the corners and throw a black background on it (this will make him/her feel more secure). This way, there is plenty of open swimming space, and less likely it will rip all the plants out (will still happen more than likely) Just my opinion though :)

Back
Top Bottom