Mixing South American?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishBoy185

Aquarium Advice FINatic
With my 75 gallon im going to buy a baby tiger oscar and am wondering can I put a a couple Black convicts with him in a 75 gallon and if so how many?
Thanks

Brian

I have a 75 SA/can tank at home 75 is bare minimus for one Oscar and you'll need lots of filtration you can do a couple females or one male with him buy w.e. you do do not mix sexes pf convicts they will pair and terrorize your Oscar to death....literally

I'd do a single con and like an acara or fire mouth and maybe a schooling fish the Oscar can't eat

Lol not much an Oscar won't eat but as long as you Dont feed him live feeders which is highly bad for them anyway and keep it non good pellets it won't be aggressive.......I would personally prefer a jack or green terror the look a lot prettier then an acara and Dont get quite as big just something to consider

Acaras are really nice fish. I like the blue acara. The green terror is another nice cichlid.

FishBoy185 said:
With my 75 gallon im going to buy a baby tiger oscar and am wondering can I put a a couple Black convicts with him in a 75 gallon and if so how many?
Thanks

Brian

One convict and another species would be best. Pairing up convicts are mean and would cause a lot of aggression and battle wounds:

Something the size of a firemouth would be the largest I would go.

cmbtengnr43 said:
Lol not much an Oscar won't eat but as long as you Dont feed him live feeders which is highly bad for them anyway and keep it non good pellets it won't be aggressive.......I would personally prefer a jack or green terror the look a lot prettier then an acara and Dont get quite as big just something to consider

Jacks get larger than the blue acara. GT and an Oscar in a 75 gallon sounds like a bad idea to me. Regardless of coloring, the acara would be a better choice.

Ocara and male jacks both reach 8-10" and green terrors aren't really aggressive them and Oscars have about the same temperament and acara jacks and green terrors all grow to about the same size give or take a inch or two

cmbtengnr43 said:
Ocara and male jacks both reach 8-10" and green terrors aren't really aggressive them and Oscars have about the same temperament and acara jacks and green terrors all grow to about the same size give or take a inch or two

I've tried different combinations of the fish listed above and had a problem doing so in 180g, much larger than the op is working with here. Green Terrors temperament varied per fish and they can live up to their name and be a real problem.

I don't believe there is a good chance of long term success with an Oscar and green terror or jack in a 75g. That's a pretty big bioload on top of the aggression. I have a 6" GT in a 40b and those nitrates are hard enough to manage.

Do you have experience with mixing these fish long term in similar sized tanks or are you just guessing?

I've kept a jack and Oscar in a 75 but I also had a big sump to add water volume and a skimmer so that helped tremendously with nitrates as far as a gt with the Oscar I'm being optimistic I've kept them solo

For one, a green terror IS an acara. Acara is the name for a group of cichlids, hence why many South American cichlid genera end in "Acara", eg. Cleithracara, andinoacara (Green terror is in this), laetacara, etc.

If you're talking about a blue Acara being the same size as a green terror, then no, you are mistaken. Aequidens pulcher, aka the blue Acara, is 4-6" while andinoacara rivulatus max out at around the 8-12" mark. Not even close to being the same. If not a blue Acara, then what "Acara" are you talking about?

Could I out an oscar and 1 jack Dempsey, ?

No, your nitrate levels would rise extremely fast, and without large weekly (or twice weekly) water changes, the Oscar especially will develop head and lateral line erosion (HLLE). Your bioload will be too great with those two species. I'd only go with a songle Oscar OR a pair of Jacks. A 75 really isn't that large when talking about large south/ central americans

Okay for my list all I have is 1 oscar and 1 convict . Anything else that can go with those 2?

Actually can I put red parrots with a tiger oscar? The only thing that really sucks is that my ifs store charges 25 $ per parrot fish.

FishBoy185 said:
Actually can I put red parrots with a tiger oscar? The only thing that really sucks is that my ifs store charges 25 $ per parrot fish.

Yeah, ditch the blood parrot idea. They get too big and too ugly. Stick with real cichlids.

You guys are freaking nuts when it comes to uglyness that's a matter of personal opinion if the guy likes them good for him ! I have three with a jack Dempsey and a red jewel in a 75 currently all full grown all just fine and before you chime in about nitrates I do 25% weekly water changes and maintain 20ppm nitrate levels with just a marine land c530...hey man if you want parrots go for it they will do fine with an Oscar hell I was at my LFS today he's got Oscars with red devils in one tank and a freaking flower horn in another now they are 150g tanks but none the less they do great together you'd think they where best buddies ! Its all about when you introduce them together aside from your occasional exception if you introduce them young and same size and they grow up together they will do fine ! And if he's charging 25$ for parrots they should be in the 6" range not juvinilles if so that's way too much for a parrot hell if you pay for shipping and tranqullizer I'll send ya one of my parrots free Cuz that's how confident I am it will be fine in a 75 with an Oscar

Back
Top Bottom