Mom who decided to put African cichlid in a community tank?!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blueyedbombshel

Aquarium Advice Regular
What the heck do I tell my mom who just randomly decided to bring an electric yellow and some other blue Malawi cichlid with her planted tetra and gourami tank just because they "looked pretty and they're just babies" I'm so mad at her...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Just sit back and let her carry out the research less experiment. May work but I doubt it...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My problem is that they're in pairs. I suggested to get apistos or kribensis.. Even angels would have been better

Ohh man.. if they survive the parameters than they will decimate that tank overnight...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It could and probably will happen. Maybe not when they are babies but eventually....

Cichlids are very aggressive. Most plants won't last very long with them. They also have to have their space and will make it known. Good luck.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah cichlids are awful with plants. They like to move around the substrate and dig around

Get one of those moss balls that petsmart trys to pass off as authentic Japanese....
4-5 Africans will tear it into shreds almost overnight

My husband and I did this exact thing a few years ago before I knew anything about PROPER fish keeping. It didn't end well. So many fish died most likely due to stress since we chose everything based on what "looked pretty". I have to say now a few years later I have decided to try another round at fish keeping that researching compatability and behaviors is one of the most interesting parts of the entire hobby.

Back
Top Bottom