Mopani wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erikmoseley

Aquarium Advice Addict
Good morning everyone is there a reason why my mother mopani wood keeps getting a white slimy film on it every time I put it into my tank? It doesn't occur on any other decorations and I've taken it out a couple times and cleaned it but yet the film comes back. I didn't boil it or soak it or anything I just rinse it off in hot water it didn't change my water color or chemistry at all. I'm letting it sit in a bucket of hot hot water right now but don't know if I will put it back in

It hasn't cured yet, wood that hasn't been submerged for any length of time will develop the fuzz you're describing. Just leave the wood in a bucket or the tank for a couple of weeks and it will go away on its own. It won't harm your fish/inverts/plants.

It hasn't cured yet, wood that hasn't been submerged for any length of time will develop the fuzz you're describing. Just leave the wood in a bucket or the tank for a couple of weeks and it will go away on its own. It won't harm your fish/inverts/plants.

Thanks for the info !!

Yeah that white stuff is a fungus that grows to consume the organics in the wood. Once it's all gone the fungus goes away. Otos, Shrimp, and Nerites eat it, but these probably won't work in a cichlid tank..or you can wipe it off during PWCs.

Yeah that white stuff is a fungus that grows to consume the organics in the wood. Once it's all gone the fungus goes away. Otos, Shrimp, and Nerites eat it, but these probably won't work in a cichlid tank..or you can wipe it off during PWCs.

Thanks. Ill leave it in a bucket for a week. It's been in tank a week and its gross to look at! Tank decor is waaaay better w it in there though!

hi, i think i might be having the same problem. i got a piece of wood from the reptile section of the petstore. it's been 2-3weeks and the wood sinks alright but it's got a grey film over it and the water smells so bad, is this the same issue that the OP is dealing with?

Do you know that type of wood it is? If not, post a picture. Not all wood is suitable for aquariums and can rot.

Do you know that type of wood it is? If not, post a picture. Not all wood is suitable for aquariums and can rot.

Was labelled mopani wood. Pic of top and bottom.

Attachments

• image-1812923597.jpg
    image-1812923597.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 80
  • image-672765156.jpg
    image-672765156.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 106
mine smelled awful at some point. I've been soaking mine for weeks. I try to change the water every day or every other day. it's coming out clear and the "slime" has greatly diminished. this might be going in my discus tank.

Back
Top Bottom