Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-01-2008, 04:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

More kribb questions?

Recently I posted about one of my kribbs and how he was sick. Im sad to say he has died. I have no idea what has caused this as my water parameters are fine and there were no signs of agression.

He and the female seemed to get along great, They would do a mating dance whenever they bumped into each other and then dart into one of the "caves". I went back to the LFS and got another male only to have to run back to the store a couple hours later, after i found him cowering in a coner of the tank. The female had nearly beat the living daylights out of him.
After a few trips back and forth to my LFS I decided to just get a new pair. These are much smaller and im guessing much less mature too. Their e barely over an inch in length and judging by the fins I have a male/female pair. They dont display any mating behavior and they dont flash their colors too much either. After observing them for a while ive noticed that the female seems to be the dominant one and isnt too friendly, she chases him away, and he just goes and hides for a while. My question is about whether they will eventualy get along and even spawn or once a female rejects a male the agression will continue no matter what?
Will she only spawn with a male she approves of?

Old 03-01-2008, 06:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I was thinking of going back to LFS and getting about 4 more and see if a pair develops? is this a good idea?
When i first got my original pair i got 4 of them and notie that 2 became dominant in my tank./..

Old 03-02-2008, 10:45 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have several generations of Kribs in two tanks. I notice that they pair off much easier in larger schools. So maybe just add a few more males and let them sort it out. From your description these are very young fish, be prepared to wait several months before they take to mating.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pitt420dude
My only experience with kribs is from the pair I have in my 55 gal. I've had them many months now; I got em b/c a guy at my LFS said they could possibly work in a community tank. Well they did, they have thier own spot, you can see em occupying it/guarding it in the pic titled "middle" in my album, its under the driftwood. It was not always this way though, at first he really gave her **** and chased her away/around. She was tough though, so survived and eventually they paired up and moved in together. They'll nip other fish that venture in and stay too long, except for the loaches and corys which they completley ignore, even in thier spot.

Anyway there is half a conch shell in there under the driftwood, the female lives/hides in there often and the male chills outside. They do the cichlid "shimmy" I recently found out about (shiver), but have never mated. They will sometimes swim around the other areas of the tank (male is alpha of the entire tank, but that may change as I just added some fish). Her fins are sometimes nipped, and I think the male is the culprit, but rarely see it.

Like a dog, sometimes she will sort of twist to the side and assume a submissive posture when he is on her; they have to be old enough now to mate, so I don't know if it's unfavorable water params or too crowded a tank or what.

Thats about all I have to offer about krib behavior. Hope it helps.

LOOK! A NEW LEAF!!!!!
pitt420dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:33 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well after many trips back and forth to my LFS i think i finaly found a pair that works. I had to take my original female back as she was overly aggresive with any other kribb i put in the tank, even larger males. And I got a much smaller female. And after some trial and error I found a small male that wouldnt let her push him around, now he is dominant and chases her around the tank most of the time, but she doesnt back off for long and shes definetly interested because she shivers beside him. He still doesnt have a clue what to do but they both flair their colors and seem to get along for a few seconds. Im guessing as he matures he will take a liking to her and nature will take its course (cross my fingers).
It was about time too they were starting to give me funny looks at the store whenever i walked in ,,,,,,,,,,again...

Thank you guys for your input its been quite helpfull. If you guys have any more suggestions I would be glad to hear them.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com