More sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kado

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm going to add more sand to my mbuna tank and was wondering if I need to remove my fish before doing so and let the water settle? Also can I add the sand while the tank is full of water if I do remove the fish? Cheers :)

Wash the sand then fill a 2 liter coke bottle (that's been rinsed out) or water bottle with it, the submerge it underwater and turn it upside down. You can apply the sand wherever you want and all the tiny particles that would cloud your water stay trapped in the bottle. Then you simply dump that water in the sink.

It's on YouTube, try something like :adding aquarium sand bottle

In theory you don't have to wash it but I still rinse it a little bit

Wash the sand then fill a 2 liter coke bottle (that's been rinsed out) or water bottle with it, the submerge it underwater and turn it upside down. You can apply the sand wherever you want and all the tiny particles that would cloud your water stay trapped in the bottle. Then you simply dump that water in the sink.

It's on YouTube, try something like :adding aquarium sand bottle

In theory you don't have to wash it but I still rinse it a little bit

That's a really good idea, I would still do a rinse before though

I agree with tarpon, the 2 liter bottle trick is great. I added sand with this method, and the water stayed crystal clear.

That's brilliant! Would never have thought of that.thanks so much :)

I will also turn off the filters. Thanks again everyone

image-4224486140.jpg

All done looks great. Thanks for all the help :)
What do you think?

Thanks for the great feed back. Sorry about the time difference I'm in Australia.
The tank is 4foot 155litres I think and I have about 20kgs of crushed coral in it. My cichlids are pretty small at the moment all under 3 inches once I've got my head around keeping these little beauties a bit better ill upgrade to a larger tank.

Back
Top Bottom