More stocking questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

josh7

Aquarium Advice Addict
Sorry for all the questions but I figure it's better to ask than be sorry. So my tanks finally getting set up I have my sand and new filters in and running. I already seeded the filters with a lot if media. So the tank should be cycled in about a week.

This is for the 55 gallon I have had a few threads for I think I have a decent plan right now.

1- Senegal Bichir
1- Firemouth Cichlid
1- Blue Acara

But I'm wondering if I can add either a striped Raphael catfish to the list. Or some type of other medium cichlid. Any ideas or could I even add another fish with these in a 55 gallon.

I'd say that tank will be well stocked. All 3 will have a large bio load. Adding another cichlid is a no go, the stock may not be RD's and dovii, but a cichlids a cichlid... Aggression in a 4' tank with 4 fish 5-8" will be inevitable.

Alright so I shouldn't add anything else to this not a even a smaller type of catfish like a Raphael?

I would be careful added smaller schooling fish due to the senegal (when fully grown) could eat them. That bichir only gets 12" MAX, they can also turn pretty good too..the stocking you have now is good, but you could probably add a medium sized syndon. catfish of some kind if you'd like.

Alright I will consider maybe giant danios? Or maybe a syno cat but I might just leave it the same I guess will see.

I also think you could add another cichild or two if you'd like. Senegals are slow growing and will mostly be on the bottom. But it's up to you.

I think I will just stick with if I add another fish some type of 5-6 inch catfish. But I will probably just keep this stock list

Raphael or a Lace Catfish would be fine. Both a slow growing and would work. Lace are more active most of the time too.

Hey just another thought here would this tank setup work?

1- Senegal Bichir
1- African Brown Knife
1- Blue Acara

That would work..even could probably add a smaller pleco and a maybe catfish still. With your stocking there you won't have too much going on. Some ABK might just hid all day, senegals are pretty active (especially for bichirs) and acaras are beautiful and he won't have any competition for territory really, could also do another cichlid like you talked about too I think. It's up to you. Some people might not agree with me however, but senegals usually only get like 10-11" max in an aquarium that size and ABKs get like 7-8" I think, and your acara will get almost 8 inch.

Ok that sounds cool idk what type of cichlid I would add if I did any ideas? And just a thought Im sure it's a no go but what about just a

Black Ghost knife and blue Acara? But these knifes get to big don't they.

BGKs get pretty big.. I have a small one I kinda rescued in my 40 breeder.. I'm hoping to get rid of it soon cuz I don't really have room. You could do two cichilds, a senegal, and an ABK if you want one (I think so at least) and as long as you have cover for most of them and enough territory spots for the cichlids I think you'll be fine. And like I said, if you would like some bottom feeder or something you could so a smaller pleco or medium syn. cat.. but that would be more of your call there i guess.

Alright I will be going the ABK Senegal and 1 or 2 cichlids since I really like knife fish and want one of some type. Are these guys easy to feed? I'm kinda worried the ABK won't get enough food.

I was worried too, but I usually throw a few pellets in after lights out and they're all gone in the morning and he has been living for quite some time now, so I hope he is getting enough.

But it can be somewhat difficult persay,but you should be fine. You won't have to worry about the senegal at all for food. Otherwise if he is in his cave or something in the day you can target feed him and put it right in front of him and they'll usually take it.

Back
Top Bottom