More varied diet.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
I currently feed my cichlids Spirulina flakes, cichlid flakes, and frozen brine. I am looking for one more type of food to feed them since I am going to the LFS soon. Last time I got blood worms but soonafter learned it was a mistake :lol: . The types of cichlids are in my signature.

try some different fozen foods. I feed my cichlids frozen plankton once a week. THey love it. You could also feed them peas (with the shell taken off and cut up to fit inside their mouths). I feed my fish cut up spinach alot too.

Yeah I forgot to mention I've been giving some peas for my labs to grow, but I only did it twice so far lol.

keep doing it once in a while. Look at some of the food meant for saltwater fish. They usually just contain more spirulina than other types of food and are good for cichlids. Everyone in my aquarium club feeds SW food to africans.

best food for your fish would be new life spectrum best food on the market gives them great coloring and is very good for there digestive tract

I'll second the New Life Spectrum pellets. They're great for coloring up your cichlids. I've yet to own a cichlid that didn't go nuts for NLS. They're pretty compact, so probably feed gradually when trying it out for the first time.

if you are going to do shrimp try to find live or get or make a shrimp hatchery frozen stuff realy does nothing for your fish

I (and the fish) like HBH Veggie Flakes-I have lotsa vegetarian fish and feed this about 60% of the time I give them prepared foods. Lots of fresh veg as well (peas, zucchini, turnip greens, red/yellow/orange bell peppers etc.)

Ingredients: Spirulina, Alfalfa Leaf Powder, Green Pea Powder, Wheat Flour, Fish Meal, Wheat Gluten, Hydrolyzed Fish Meal, Fish Oil, Brewers Dried Yeast, Lecithin, Zucchini, Spinach, Carrot Powder, Scallop Liver Powder, Lettuce, added Vitamins and Minerals.

Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein 35% Min., Crude Fat 6% Min., Crude Fiber 5% Max., Moisture 10% Max., Ash 10% Max.

darrin36 said:
if you are going to do shrimp try to find live or get or make a shrimp hatchery frozen stuff realy does nothing for your fish

How does it do nothing? That's like saying that eating a veggie burger that was frozen gives you no nutrition.

because adault brine have little to no nutrition for your fish . if you are going to feed them anything it should be a few day old brine or for your fry some baby brine, for a good diet i would feed nls pellets mixed with another good quality food

I feed...
NLS jumbo pellets
Hikari spirulina pellets
Frozen krill, brine, mysis.
Spirulina flakes
The "seaweed salad" stuff
Vegetables

Variety is key for growth, color, and overall health. My tank is a mix of herbivores, omnivores, and even two carnivores (ven and livi.

So, is Hikari Cihlid Pellets, Cichlid Flakes, Spirulina and Frozen brine enough?

Marconis said:
So, is Hikari Cihlid Pellets, Cichlid Flakes, Spirulina and Frozen brine enough?

You could just feed one pellet...its variety that gives you the best results. That seems good, but when it comes down to it the options are endless. There is no textbook answer, you gotta experiment.

Just one thing, what you say "cichlid" that is a very broad term. In this case it sounds like malawi types. But there are many varieties of "cichlid" food, some of which may be higher in protein and directed at carnivorous cichlids.

And don't go by the picture on the container, lol, "tetracichlid" food tends to have sa/ca/african all in one graphic.

Lol, I am not totally sure what they are exactly. That's what it says on the label :-(

Back
Top Bottom