Most important factors in af cichlid growth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaticAl

Aquarium Advice Regular
Have quite a few juvie peacocks and haps right around the 2inch mark who don't seem to have grown much over the past few months and still are not showing any color. My tank size is a 40 breeder and my temps are usually around 80 give or take a few degrees in both directions. I just got a python so I'm going to be able to change the water much more frequently but what factors do you guys think influences or can help growth the most??

What's your Ph? I keep mine at 8.4 and they love it (colors and growth will show for that) what kind of food do you give them, that's a huge factor.

Also, do you use a buffer?

Exactly how many are "quite a few" in the 40 breeder? What sort of filtration on the tank? How many times is the total water volume turned over each hour?

I also would like to know the answer to Toddnbeckas question...The short answer is higher temps and small feedings more often will max growth.

The smaller the tank and more fish in it the slower the fish will grow. Fish give off a hormone when they are growing that will stunt the growth of the other fish around them If the concentrations of this hormone get to high, it's a survival mechanism.

If you rush the growth of fish they tend to be weaker and a little more sickly of you just let them grow at their own pace with clean water and high quality food.

IMO any more than about 4-6 peacocks is way to much for a 40 breeder and Haps has no place in such a small space they need the swimming room. Remember you need to stock a tank according to the adult size of the fish and their needs for swimming space.

Thanks for the advice guys. To answer a few of the questions, I have a aquaclear 50 and an aquclear 70 running in the tank. The total number of juvie peacocks is around 11 and the only haps are two, 2 inch pheno tanzania's. About 70% of the water is changed per week but spread out across the days.
Within the tank I have ample amounts of hiding spots via caves and what not so all of the fish do have their own hideouts when needed.
I certainly respect and welcome all advice but I do question the idea that 4-6, 2" inch peacocks is maxing out a 40 breeder. Its not that I think that notion is wrong since I lack the evidence to do so, however, thus far I have had no problems am curious to hear personal experiences for why it might be.

The reason I say 4-6 fish is because of the adult size of the fish. If you are keeping those fish in there long term that's the number I recommend. There needs to be a balance in the tank of hiding places and swim space. I have Pheno Tanzani and I've noticed they prefer to be swimming in open water vs hiding in the rocks.

That would be best stock level in that for optimal growth for those fish IMO.

I definitely see where you are coming from with the full grown perspective. I am in college so the house I am in is only for another year so I dont plan on upgrading the tank within then but shortly after I will, which based off the current growth rate I doubt they will be full grown by then. I try to landscape the tank in such away that there are plenty of caves but they are all very close to the bottom leaving lots of room above for swim space.

I wouldn't leave all those fish in a 40 for that long, keep the ones that display the color and health and rehome the rest. You can always rebuy fish after school when you have the space for a larger tank. It's really not fair to the fish.

I didn't have a big enough tank for my Phenos when I got them, so I got them a 55 but that only lasted a few months before they chased one of the fish causing him to jump out. The reason I mention that is because I'm afraid your fish will start to mature and fight more.

Back
Top Bottom