Moved my blue rams, not sure if that was smart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brendan

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently moved by two breeding Blue rams from their current home (30g community planted) into a 10g. I had some guppies in the 10g so I put those in the 30g. The Rams seemed totally freaked about they're new surrounding and so do the guppies. I'm planning on switching the guppies and Rams back to where they were before, but I wanted to see if the Rams would lay eggs this time and not eat them. Has anyone does this and what have your experiences been? Was I foolish to do this?

TIA,
Matt

On the few occasions that I moved fish from one tank to another in my apartment, I noticed that they were not themselves for a few days. I guess being netted and thrown into a strange new environment is stressful. Also, althoughI know that the water in my tanks should be the same, I would still drip-acclimate - it's just something I do anyway. I'm just wondering if perhaps the pH or nitrates were significantly different between your two tanks.

Also, does the 10 gal have lots of hiding places - your rams were used to lots of plants. Likewise, the guppies might be feeling vulnerable in that big tank. If this is the case, I would expect the fish to settle in within a few days.

Who else was in the 30 gal community tank with the rams? Maybe the eggs were being eaten by another fish? Is that why you thought of moving them? Are there any fish like barbs in there that may be terrorizing the guppies?

The rams are by themselves in the 10g and it's got quite a few places to hide, in fact I looked today and the two of them seem to be doing better.

As for the guppies, their tank mates are now 2 Boseman Rainbows, 2 Neon Rainbows, 1 Ram, 1 Oto, nothing they can't handle. I guess only time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom