Moving Fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishkeeper26

Aquarium Advice Addict
Two pairs of my L. Brevis cichlids just mated earlier this week, since this is the first time I was wondering when it's safe to move the fry. (Some of the fry are about a quarter inch long, others are still very small which is how I know two pairs mated)

Fry under 1/2" are usually too delicate to survive netting IME. If they'll retreat into a shell just move that.

Whenever you have an established tank to move them into. An air-driven sponge filter (or mattenfilter) is usually the option for small fry.

Thanks!! Conveniently I've had one set up for the past few weeks, I just have to raise the ph

I have moved multi shell dwellers moving in the shell is only way... I placed a glass jar in the tank filled with water and placed the shells in it under water as not to break the surface with the shells if you do you create a air pocket vacum and the fish may get trapped inside shell, then lift jar filled with new shells and fish in new tank works well hope that helps :)

Ive got a lyretail in my tank and she had a fry,I carefully tried my best to get them out which i did and transferred them to an established tank. I've had the fry in there now for almost 2 months and what I can count is around 60 fry!
It can be done but with a lot of care.

Fishkeeper26 said:
Thanks! Is there a certain time I should move them?

If you put your hand in the tank the fry will go back to the shell so any time will work. Don't forget the parents are doing the same. Mine has attacked my hands at first then when it saw the "nasty hand" doesn't goes away they went to the shell themselves as well.

Gillie said:
The hand trick works better on more aggressive shellies like occelatus. You could try distracting them with food or a dither fish.

I did it with ocelatus an with multis. With multis i have moved whole colony of 20 in 10 minutes. Brevis might be a little bit different as they are bit bigger. I am sorry to hear I couldn't help.

Back
Top Bottom