moving shell dwellers with fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Davemac

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am moving my tanganyikan shell dwelling multis with fry to there new home and i am after suggestions on how to do it? Should I place shells and fish in bags or should I place them in small fry tanks that float and transfer that way or should I try and get fish out of shells before I move them I heard you can put shells on top of a plastic pipe and fish will come out and swim back to the bottom so you can remove shells ? Got about seven adults and twenty plus fry all stages any suggestions would be great!

I have moved mine several times. You want to make sure you do not lift the shell out of water, or it could get air trapped in it and kill the fish that is/are in it. I have a mason jar that I use to transfer the fish from to tank to a bucket, then from the bucket to the new tank. I just put it in the tank and fill it full of water, then pick a few shells up at a time and put them in the bucket.

mfdrookie516 said:
I have moved mine several times. You want to make sure you do not lift the shell out of water, or it could get air trapped in it and kill the fish that is/are in it. I have a mason jar that I use to transfer the fish from to tank to a bucket, then from the bucket to the new tank. I just put it in the tank and fill it full of water, then pick a few shells up at a time and put them in the bucket.

Ok so submerge a container put the shells with fish in shells underwater then remove container filled with water, fish and shells place in new tank water but always below the water so I do not trap any in the shell is that correct,if so sounds good :) cheers do I need the bucket in middle as tanks are very close?

Yeah... the bucket is just a good way to acclimate them to their new tank. Even if they're right next to each other, you still want to acclimate. I drip mine for about 30-45 minutes

mfdrookie516 said:
Yeah... the bucket is just a good way to acclimate them to their new tank. Even if they're right next to each other, you still want to acclimate. I drip mine for about 30-45 minutes

Ok got you.. Thanks a lot for the sound advice moving tomorrow so will let you know how it all goes fingers crossed I will try to match ph exact, hardness may be a problem to match but I will drip them with new water for about forty five mins and fingers crossed even small fry will survive :)

Back
Top Bottom