Moving tomorrow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

axbrown

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I'm moving tomorrow, and am transporting 11 cichlids, a cat fish, clown loach, pleco, and a bichir. I have had a 75 gallon at my new apartment up and running for about 7 days. I am planning on transporting my fish in 5 separate 5 gallon buckets. My question is, do I need to oxygenate the water with a bubbler? I can't really afford to buy a power converter to power the bubbler in my truck, and the longest they'll be in the buckets is about 3 hours. Should I just dish out the money for a bubbler? Or can I buy a bundle of anacharis and will that put enough oxygen in the water for the trip over? An answer soon would be great, thank you :)

- Alec

Hi! I just moved about 100+ fish between 8 tanks a week or so shy of a month ago. I used battery operated pumps that ran me $9 each :) my car had a plug in it to where I also ran a heater since it was so cold here in Michigan :)

Good luck!

Edit: I used Rubbermaid totes to transport my Africans & other fish :)

First off i wanted to thank you AndrewsPistol, for the technique you gave me, it worked very well :) I thought I'd let you know, I ended up using a 30 gallon tote, and bought a power converter to use my air pump, and had the heat on in my truck full blast. I only had one die, but he wasn't looking good before I left either :/

Note: when I got to my apartment, apparently the switch just inside my door next to the tank was for the outlet powering my heater... So the water was almost down to 56 degrees! I plugged three heaters into it and added hot water from the sink, and let it settle a bit before introducing my fish into their new home. Took about two and a half hours to get it up to temp!

Here are some pics of my new setup, the stand I made myself.

Attachments

• image-2866877211.jpg
    image-2866877211.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 92
  • image-716394486.jpg
    image-716394486.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 84
  • image-3983944078.jpg
    image-3983944078.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 83
First off i wanted to thank you AndrewsPistol, for the technique you gave me, it worked very well :) I thought I'd let you know, I ended up using a 30 gallon tote, and bought a power converter to use my air pump, and had the heat on in my truck full blast. I only had one die, but he wasn't looking good before I left either :/

Note: when I got to my apartment, apparently the switch just inside my door next to the tank was for the outlet powering my heater... So the water was almost down to 56 degrees! I plugged three heaters into it and added hot water from the sink, and let it settle a bit before introducing my fish into their new home. Took about two and a half hours to get it up to temp!

Here are some pics of my new setup, the stand I made myself.

Lookin good! Glad I could help ;)

Good to hear. I love the look of that stand btw.

Thanks :) I made it so the bottom of my 75 gallon sits 45 inches tall, so that I don't have to crouch down just to see my fish haha. I'm going to put the build on the do it yourself. The whole thing cost about $160 if I recall correctly.

Thanks :) I made it so the bottom of my 75 gallon sits 45 inches tall, so that I don't have to crouch down just to see my fish haha. I'm going to put the build on the do it yourself. The whole thing cost about $160 if I recall correctly.

My 29 is on a desk that is waist high so I can easily reach in and do what I need. The desk has a chair that I use to set my wc bucket on, yes I'm still old school with my water changes, but it works. Also, I can sit in the chair every night and watch the tank.

Back
Top Bottom